Semi Auto 338 lapau?

Duncnstac

Looking for something with a little more reach then 308 but $9000 416 is not in buget this year. Have seen a few AR 338's in the 4000 to 5000 neighborhood.

VIPR PWR HK

Full Access Member
Looking for something with a little more reach then 308 but $9000 416 is not in buget this year. Have seen a few AR 338's in the 4000 to 5000 neighborhood.

You may have to buy your own private Continent to shoot that thing on ..:shooter::)

hotrodpc

Super Moderator

Doing a little 1000 (Thousand) yard target shooting ehhh???

Honestly IMO, a SEMI AUTO rifle in this caliber really doesn't make a whole lot of sense. You're right $9000 is senseless, and I wouldn't even spend $4000-$5000 for one.

This round is pretty much a Sniper intended round for very long range. Normally in a situation where you're only getting a one shot chance at it, and by the time you're able to confirm or deny the kill, you easily could have worked to the bolt action and set up for another shot if the option exists. I'm sure you can find a nice 3-4 round magazine bolt action rifle in this caliber for under $1000, then spend the family farm or $500-$1000 on optics to ensure you're accuracy and I think you'd have a damn nice brutal long distance lethal weapon. To hunt deer and elk with of course. :emotions34:

Again, JMO of course FWIW. :High 5:

Silver-Bolt

Full Access Member
If you are looking for precision and long range buy a bolt gun. At 1000 meters the bullets time of flight is more than sufficient to cycle the bolt.

Last edited by a moderator:

oppo

Full Access Member
It all depends on what you want and what it is worth to you as well as just how far you want to be able to reach out there.

You can get the AR15 in 243 WSSM or an AR10 in 7mm WSM. For that matter, surely there is a 6.5 WSM wildcat out there? That cartridge seems like a great idea to me.

A bolt is the practical choice for long range shooting but if you want a long range AR, that is reason enough to get one.

hotrodpc

Super Moderator
It all depends on what you want and what it is worth to you as well as just how far you want to be able to reach out there.

That there is the key question. Several rounds will get way out there, but how far out there? And how accurate do you want it, and how much energy do you want it to have when it gets there.

I've thought seriously, since my .300 Win Mag is to expensive to shoot recreartionally, aka plink with, I've thought of spending some cash on optics and bipod and see how good I could get it dialed in for 1000 yards. Would I be smoking crack or expecting to much???

oppo

Full Access Member
That there is the key question. Several rounds will get way out there, but how far out there? And how accurate do you want it, and how much energy do you want it to have when it gets there.

I've thought seriously, since my .300 Win Mag is to expensive to shoot recreartionally, aka plink with, I've thought of spending some cash on optics and bipod and see how good I could get it dialed in for 1000 yards. Would I be smoking crack or expecting to much???

I can't speak for your rifle but if you reload and neck size your brass, the 300 Win Mag is a good 1000 yard and then some cartridge.

oppo

Full Access Member
Just did a little figuring and a 208 grain A-max at 2800+ should stay supersonic past 1600 yards.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts