Scope help

Silver-Bolt

Full Access Member
I am looking for a decent scope for my SIG-716 7.62/.308 rifle. I am thinking 10-12x max. Current range is good to 600 yards. Like to stay in the $500-$600 range. Open to suggestions.

oppo

Full Access Member
I would take a look at a Nikon Monarch. I am sure there are several good options in that price range though. If possible, I would definitely take a look through some.

Txhillbilly

Full Access Member
What type of reticle are you wanting?
What size tube do you want? 1" or 30mm

I'm a big fan of Sightron scopes.I use them on all of my long range rifles,for the price they are hard to beat. I have 4 of the SIII 6-24x50's and 1 of the SII 4-16x42 Sightrons.The clarity,tracking,zero holding,and repeatability is as good as scopes costing twice as much.
They offer a SIII 3.5-10x44,but it's around $750,but worth every penny!
The SII series has two models with Target turrets- 3-12x42 and a 4.5-14x42,and they run $450-475

Nikon builds a decent scope,but their lense coatings are too dark for my taste. I've had a couple Monarchs,they worked fine,but you'd loose a lot of hunting time with them because the coatings were darker.
I could plainly see animals with my Swarovski,but couldn't see them with the Nikon at the same distance and magnification in the morning/evening time.

Weaver is another to look at. The Super Slam is an excellent scope,I have a 3-15x50 on my 458 SOCOM,and it has held up to the recoil of that cannon. The Super Slam has some very neat features that other scopes don't. It has exposed turrets that lock down in place,if you need to adjust the crosshairs,pull up on the turret and adjust,then push them down and they lock in place.
The optics are very good also.
Natchez Shooters Supply has them on sale-
2-10x42 $399.95
3-15x42 $498.95
3-15x50 $518.95
The Weaver Classic Extreme is another great scope.The Super Slam replaced this scope as Weaver's top of the line model.
I have 2 of the 6-24x50 Classic Extreme's on my Varmint rigs,and they are also fantastic scopes. You can get these scope for some great prices at Natchez.
2.5-10x50 $289.95
4.4-16x50 $329.95
For the price,these Classic Extreme's are hard to beat.

Camera shot view of the Super Slam 3-15x50. The tress are about 250 yards away.Very good glass in these scopes.
013-1.jpg

Weaver Classic Extreme 6-24x50 view-Yeah,I know the scopes not leveled in the pic.I'd just put it on,and took some pics before I finished.
006.jpg

The Classic Extreme replaced the Sightron SII 4-16x42 on my Savage 12FLVSS 223. The Sightron is on my DPMS LR-260H now,until I get the Nightvision scope for it.
008.jpg

Txhillbilly

Full Access Member
I appreciate the info. Lots of homework to do.

It helps if you can find a dealer that has several scopes that you are thinking about,and then will let you look at them outdoors.You can really see the differences in the quality of different scopes when you can look at ranges far/close with them,and at different magnifications.
Looking thru scopes inside a building will tell you nothing about the quality of the optics.

TScottW99

Full Access Member
I'm a huge fan of the Leupold line. American made with an unconditional lifetime guarntee. A VX 2 in 3 X 10 would serve you well IMO.

Members online

No members online now.