Budget optic for 7.62x39 AR15

oppo

Full Access Member
A while back, I started what I intended to be a 6.8 built specifically for hunting. I got the lower built with a Magpul FDE CTS stock and grip and a Geissele trigger. When I got to that point, the barrel I wanted was out of stock. Then, life got in the way and I am finally getting around to finishing what has turned into a budget 7.62x39. Ballistically, I like the 6.8 better but a 30 caliber rifle round for roughly the cost of 9mm makes a lot of sense. All I have left to by, other than sights, is a handguard. Depending on what handguard I choose, I should have about or just under $300 in the complete upper. Anyways, the question now becomes "what optic do I choose?" Realistically, the rifle will spend the majority of it's time shooting from a bench at the local range burning up cheap Russian ammo. For that kind of work a higher powered optic seems ideal but that isn't really what I want this rifle to be and I also don't want to make it unnecessarily heavy. Besides, it would be kind of a waste considering the limitations of the ammo. I have also thought about a red dot as it would seem to suit the rifle well but it is less than ideal for the majority of the rifle's use. I am kind of thinking that something like a 2-7 or 1-4 is the way to go. Then again, I have also thought about just putting on a set of irons and getting back to the basics for a while and the more I think about it, the more I like that idea.

oppo

Full Access Member
Nothing wrong with that. Their 1-6 looks pretty tempting too and both are available with a 7.62x39 specific reticle.

oppo

Full Access Member
Well, I ended up calling an audible. I found a Vortex Diamondback 3.5-10×50 on sale for $149 and had a gift guard which meant I was only about $100 out of pocket. I couldn't pass that up. It will go on the 7.62x39 AR for now but will likely end up on my 270.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts