Safes?

Mockstar

Full Access Member
Nice choice on the safe DrkSide. It is very similar to mine

I had tried an LED rope light setup, but because the safe is not very large, the light seemed to be very overpowering. I would like to suggest the Liberty Safe Dual LED Safe Lights. I use them in mine, and they work really well. They have the option of motion activated, or push button on/off. The lights are also able to be rotated up and down to allow the light to focus on a particular area of the shelf if you desire.

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
If you get a safe, spend the extra bucks for the digital keypad. I just converted mine from the spin dial to the keypad. Holy cow what a difference. So much quicker to get into the safe and easier to access in low light.

hotrodpc

Super Moderator
A word of advice.....SIZE. The bigger, the better. You'll be surprised how quickly you run out of room in one. Firearms, ammo, important papers, jewelry, precious metals, cash. It fills up a safe quick. But knowing it's locked and safe is a great feeling. Someone may be able to break into the house and take electronics and such but your true valuables will still be there when you get home because they were in the safe. 6 big guys couldn't move my safe.

That's a fact. I never dreamed I'd out grow mine, but I did after about 5 years of owning it. You soon find many more valuables other than your guns to put in them once you have one.

SWSS

Full Access Member
well, after mucho researching, I have come to a conclusion. I am building a vault/reloading lab/keeper of all things safe room. I know some are lamenting the need for fireproofing and I have made valuable collections in this area as well. There are many great fire-proofing/retarding materials on the market.
I am working on the plans and material list and will post when I get them squared away. Actually I may just talk about it and send them to members that PM me...sound rude? I dont think so...

SWSS

Full Access Member
I couldnt believe the dumb asses that openly blog about this stuff...pics and all.

hotrodpc

Super Moderator
well, after mucho researching, I have come to a conclusion. I am building a vault/reloading lab/keeper of all things safe room. I know some are lamenting the need for fireproofing and I have made valuable collections in this area as well. There are many great fire-proofing/retarding materials on the market.
I am working on the plans and material list and will post when I get them squared away. Actually I may just talk about it and send them to members that PM me...sound rude? I dont think so...

I couldnt believe the dumb asses that openly blog about this stuff...pics and all.

Another reason for the Memers PRIVATE Section we've requested on the forum. This will be a Category where we can post threads that the general public can not see. They'd have to register and become members.

Believe it or not, one of the best and cheapest Fire RESISTANT, notice I said, RESISTANT... NOT Fire PROOF, is plain drywall. The thicker it is, or the more layers you use adds more time. Hospital and Hotel Cooridros for Example, are usually 5/8 one side, and 2 layers of 5/8's on the other side to give a 2 hour firewall. Single sided on both sides is 1 Hour. Starwells and Elevator Shafts get 1in thick Core board and are usually rated at 4 hours. How this is just talking a standard structure fire. If it's something like a jet fuel fire or diesel, or other chemical fire, then of course that would burn hotter and you won't get that amount of time. There are engineering standards and codes you can find for such type rooms.

Mockstar

Full Access Member
When we redid my parents bathroom we used the water resistant cementboard. I'd bet doubling up on that would achieve a good fire resistant rating since there is no cardboard on it.

Full Access Member
To achieve a 2 hour rating with drywall you need 2-Layers of 5/8 drywall on both sides with a dead space in between. We have done security walls with a layer of diamond mesh sandwiched between the drywall.Then you will need a hollow metal door frame W/door rated also. So that would be walls and ceiling W/door and jamb. I think you may be better off buying a good safe. That is JMHO though. :banghead:

hotrodpc

Super Moderator
When we redid my parents bathroom we used the water resistant cementboard. I'd bet doubling up on that would achieve a good fire resistant rating since there is no cardboard on it.

I'd have to check on that. Are you actually referring to Green board? The paper content really doesn't matter much. What matters more is the water content of the board and the density of the gypsum.

To achieve a 2 hour rating with drywall you need 2-Layers of 5/8 drywall on both sides with a dead space in between. We have done security walls with a layer of diamond mesh sandwiched between the drywall.Then you will need a hollow metal door frame W/door rated also. So that would be walls and ceiling W/door and jamb. I think you may be better off buying a good safe. That is JMHO though. :banghead:

It is double layer 5/8 both sides? Very could be, I'll take your word for it. It's been about 23 or 24 years since I worked commercial drywall in So Cal for Carpentars Unions 2361 and 1506. I just know I did my share of double layer and 1 5/8in screw offs along with lots of fire dampers for heat and air ducts, and fire taping above ceiling grids all the way to the robinson decking and ate lots of monocoat in my days of doing it.

But, I think he's talking of a Safe ROOM, not a closet or safe type space.

Mockstar

Full Access Member
No it wasn't greenboard. It was PermaBase Cement Board. According to Menards' website it's made of Portland cement, aggregate and glass mesh.

Just found this on the FAQ section of NationalGypsum.com

Does PermaBase have a 1-hr and 2-hr fire rated assembly?
Yes, PermaBase achieves a 1-hour and 2-hour fire rating using approved assemblies as witnessed by the Underwriters Laboratories and Warnock Hersey

Does PermaBase have a flame and smoke spread rating?
Yes, PermaBase has a flame spread of 0 and a smoke spread of 0.

Last edited:

SWSS

Full Access Member
yeah, I will have a small safe in there as well for the papers and other "valuables". I believe block with poured cavities, poured roof and a vault door. metal stud spaced, double-sheet rocked will give me the sufficient help I need. It will actually be a "storm" shelter for any reporting purposes and could be eligible for tax savings under FEMA storm preparedness legislation...

Members online

No members online now.