Revolver Gurus Pls check out my forcing cone

Bluez

Full Access Member
100_1444.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

100_1437.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Have about 3000-5000 rounds thru this GP100, 4.2 inch in stainless.
All were the hotter factory loads , mostly Fiocchi 142 gr.

Havent shot this gun in at least a year (been focusing on AR15 +just got it out of storage)but I seem to remember it was accurate when fired last.
Lock-up is still good too.

There is very little flame cutting and revolver does not spit as far as I noticed..
But I am seeing some forcing cone erosion.
Is it an issue?
Should I find a gunsmith?

Please look at the pics and comment...

PS: Never noticed this before... and I am usually fairly detail oriented on Firearms ..

Last edited:

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
I would consult a gun smith. My thought is if the erosion continues it will eventually open up the gap between the cylinder and barrel. Which will reduce velocity etc. of the gun. But I'm not an expert. They may tell you it's perfectly normal or when the gap does get too wide it's time to change the barrel. Keep us informed with what you find out.

Bluez

Full Access Member
I took it to my LGS today and their Revolver guy looked at it ( whom I know and like)
he said "its fine".
But he dindt use a magnifying glass and light to make that pronouncement which IMO is necessary to see the damage.

Also I looked at a lot of other erosion pics on the net and its the worst I see on google images thats not cracked.

Last edited:

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
I'm guessing the LGS guy didn't address your concern sufficiently. Have you ever used an oxy acetylene torch. It uses heat and air pressure to melt metal. That's what the end of your barrel reminds me of in miniature. I wonder if the high pressure loads have accelerated wear. It's something to keep an eye on.

Bluez

Full Access Member
Update.

Sent the pics to Ruger this morning.
By the afternoon they had replied and asked me ot send it in to them.

Bluez

Full Access Member
Update 2:
They acknowledged receipt and updated me a couple days later they will likely fix via barrel replacement rather than machining the cone and seating existing barrel a bit deep afterwards.

They did say though they would be unwilling to replace with 3 inch barrel as I requested ( gun is a 4 inch)
They dont do it anymore for past 3 yrs.. it technically would change model number etc..

Bluez

Full Access Member
Update:

Ruger got back to me.
Said they were going to change the barrel.

I had included a written request that IF they change the barrel they will replace with a 3 inch.
I am liking those more now for followiung reasons:
Handiness ( the 4.2 inch gun is full size)
Weight savings (shaves 4-5 ounces off the weight)
According to many tests the 3 inch barrels on the Ruger seem to perform superb for velocity and accuracy in a way belieing their length
Said they can't do it due to policy since it would change the model number and they can only replace with size barrel as originally sold.
This policy is about 3 yrs old.
That was on Monday.

But TODAY they told me that as a favor if would I like to receive a brand new 3 inch GP100 complete revolver in lieu of a barrel replaced 4 inch they could do that
Of course I told them "Yes!!!"

Once I called with my my enthusiastic concurrence they said ETA of my brand new built Ruger GP100 3 inch is 10-25 days.
This depends on where they are in production with existing orders right now.

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
You lucky dog you! Glad it worked out for you and glad there are still companies out there that look out for their customers. I bet whenever you're thinking about a new gun, Ruger will be at the top of your list.

Bluez

Full Access Member
My replacement Revolver from Ruger came in today!!

2 weeks ahead of schedule .. Yayy!:cheers:

Bluez

Full Access Member
Sooo..

I found a couple boxes of this among my stash of Ammo ( from acouple years back when my Ammo budget was more generous)
357mag158jhpc357efederal-20-3.jpg

158 gr SJHP Federal Personal Defense :artist1:

That will be my "real world" fill.

Since I am resolved not to buy more ammo when I can help it ('cuz I bought a LOT pre election mostly .223 and 5.56) my legacy stash will have to be sufficent feed my revolver.
I still have a case of 142 Fiocchi TC-FMJ and a half case SB 158 gr FMJ in stock to use for training (even tho both are almost too nice for training also)

My half case of GP100 only Ultra hot homebrews will be reserved for the actual Apocalypse only (or something very close)

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts