Pemmican

priell3

Full Access Member
I was reading about this today and may try a batch. I've made beef jerky a few times.

Packed with calories and nutrition and able to be packed and stored for long periods, pemmican is often called the ultimate survival food.

Created by Native Americans and adopted by European explorers of the New World, pemmican is a concentrated blend of fat and protein from lean, dried meat. The word “pemmican” is derived from the Cree root word “pimi” for “fat” or “grease.” Traditionally, the meats used in pemmican included bison, moose, deer and elk. Beef can be used as well.

The secret to pemmican’s long shelf life is in properly rendering the fat from the meat. The pemmican can be stored in airtight containers without refrigeration in a cool, dark and dry place. If made and stored property, it can last for years or even decades. There are reports of some pemmican lasting 50 or more years.

Here a just a few links to the process:

How To Make Pemmican: A Survival Superfood That Can Last 50 Years | Off The Grid News

http://urbansurvivalsite.com/pemmican-original-survival-food/

kwo51

Full Access Member
I think I carry about 30lbs with me at all times. Is something to look into for shtf time. I just keep the squirrels feed well.

Members online

No members online now.