OKC bombing 20 years later

Sgt. Rock

Full Access Member
Can't believe it's been 20 years now since McVeigh, Nichols and others blew up the Federal Building in OKC. Numerous memorials and ceremonies were being held today to remember the 168 people killed and another 680 injured in the explosion.
But what have we learned since then? Do you feel more secure..less secure?..feel it will happen again?..sleeper cells still out there?..domestic or foreign bred?..Homeland Security vs the F.B.I...just some questions thrown out here tonight to think about.

kwo51

Full Access Member
Both the fed building and 9/11 leave to many unanswered questions in their wakes to allow us to feel secure. IMO..

ViperJeff

Administrator
Feeling safe is not a term I would use. When you think about it, individual acts of terrorism would be very difficult to stop depending on the place and method. Detection would have to have to happen in the planning. Charlie Hebdow (sp?) was a real good example of the damage that can be done from a small group. The bigger the plan, more clues to see, but you still have to find them.

Secure? Not a chance....

We have to show diligence and commitment. Something I fear has been lost to political correctness

Arckadian

Keeping alert and aware will help mitigate some of this issue, but even when you are watching your surroundings evil can still strike and you may or may not even have a chance to see it before you are dead. We need to help each other stay alert and if we see something, say something. It could make the difference between the death of the perpetrator or the victims(s).

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
When you have a guy in the White House that won't even call a terrorist organization what it is, we got problems.

ViperJeff

Administrator
Being aware is great, however, as these idiots start going after soft targets, most if not all gun free zones, it may not be us that are the victims, but people we know or loved ones. Sooner or later were going to have another mall shooting and it will not be listed as terrorism, it will be a gun nut problem. Our goverment will fail to see that the simple act of gun ownership protected numorous locations from being a target, they will give in to our own media radicals and blame gun ownership..... Even if a gun is not used. The agenda of our current White House is to systematically lay blame for a variety of issues as the feet of good people so they can continue aggressively to promote their agendas. I believe that to be the primary reason they go out of their way to avoid the "T" word. Where th OK bombing was unconceavable at the time, I fear it will happen on a regular basis in the near future. The defense of the Nation is the responsibility go "The People" as the government is not interested in its safety. The White House has made our defense a blame game. Being aware will never be enough, we need to create fear and uncertainty in the hearts of those that would like to do us harm by providing the worse and most unsafe work environment for them to work in. A gun in every purse, a gun on every hip

Sgt. Rock

Full Access Member
Well said Jeff...I know it's hard to predict when and where the next target(s) will be but diligence and awareness are the key. We cannot afford anymore "at dawn we slept" mentality but our current administration is more about getting re-elected then civil and moral duties to protect our citizens and our borders.

hotrodpc

Super Moderator
I'll never ever forget that day. I was less than 6 miles from the blast and thought there was an earthquake. On day 2 of the recovery efforts I was down there delivering new damaged refrigerators that worked fine, donated by the company I worked for at the time for body parts. I got much closer than I needed to be, and I had it easy, I wasn't digging through the rubble.

I lost a neighbor that lived directly across the street from me and a friend that was a coworker who had quit the place I worked to go to work for the Credit Union. I was also a part time Real Estate Agent at the time, and lost a couple aquaintences that I worked with several times in the HUD office. My bro was an Army recruiter at the time, and he lost 3 of his coworkers. My mother also a full time RE Agent, lost a few coworker/friends in the HUD office.

Just to get an idea of how small the world is... I was born and raised in Norwalk/Downey California. Moved to OK in Dec of 90. Just about 3 years ago, my daughters mother got with me and asked if I knew that our common friends Mike and Kevin from Norwalk had moved to OKC/Moore. No, I didn't know that. It didn't hit me immediately, but it didn't take long to figure out, their little bro and sis, were 2 of the surviving kids in the daycare center. The little sis pretty much made a full recovery and was in the hospital for 8 days Their little bro, not so much. 128 days or so in the hospital with head trauma. He's as right as he'll ever get and made a remarkable recovery. He can walk and talk now, but he'll never be 100% and requires constant medical treatment and therapy to this day, as well as a couple of the other 4 of the surviving 6 kids.

I've never stopped and visited the memorial or gone into the museum. Driving by it is enough for me. I have gone into the underground parking garage under the memorial that was originally part of the Murrah building, to jumpstart or tow cars out of there and I don't even like doing that.

Last edited:

kwo51

Full Access Member
The first lesson is to learn whom you enemies are. It was easy when the bad guys all wore red jackets. Was that profiling?

Members online

No members online now.