Notable restaurants

oppo

Full Access Member
I thought it might be interesting to post some noteworthy restaurants from different areas.

Around here (Ft Worth area) you can trip and fall on decent bbq or mexican food but the little mom and pop stands are typically the best. I would say Risky's bbq in the stockyards is always a good call for food and atmosphere. If you want a steak, H3 right down the street is excellent. Of the chain places, Hoffbraughs is good. Mexican food, Joe T Garcias, again, by the stockyards is good. Lots of good burger joints too, Love Shack in Denton, Twisted Root in Keller, Bronson Rocks in Keller is pretty good and has live music and bike parking, Giant Burger at a gas station in Rhome has excellent and giant burgers. For steak/bbq/home cooking, Red's Frontier Cookin in Roanoke is good. There is a little place in Boyd called Gogo Gumbo that is great but you better get there at 4:00 when they open because by 5:00, you will be waiting outside. The tuna appetizer is a must try. There is also a good Italian place in a little town called Newark that has great pizza. The tea sucks but they have a bar.

In San Antonio, there is a place called Los Barrios that is a must try or was last I was there. The quest flambiado is outstanding. You just don't find chorizo like that north of the Rio Grande.

Memphis, Central BBQ is definitely worth stopping into and the vinegar sauce is very good with the pulled pork. The iced tea would make any southerner proud.

Acuna, Mexico - Papa's Pizza, yes pizza, is very good. Get the carnivora with a variety of meats, including chorizo.

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
Oppo, your timing with this thread is impeccable.

Went down to Charlotte (Concord actually) to go to the speedway where they were having a huge auto fair. Lots of nice cars for sale and just about any part you might need for that project car you're working on.

Just down the street from the speedway is a place called Sonny's BBQ. We took a break from all the walking and went there for some lunch. Man was it good. I got the pulled pork. They have a selection of sauces on the table from sweet to spicy. My sides were baked beans and fries. And washed it all down with our Southern Sweet tea. It was just about the highlight of my day. And this was all gluten free. Either corn bread or garlic toast came with the meal but neither are gluten free and would have messed me up.

There are locations in
+ Alabama
+ Florida
+ Georgia
+ Kentucky
+ Louisiana
+ Mississippi
+ North Carolina
+ South Carolina

gsERPxl.jpg

Last edited:

oppo

Full Access Member
I know there has to be some killer seafood in the area, or Cuban, or Caribbean jerk?

The War Wagon

Full Access Member
Oppo, your timing with this thread is impeccable.

Went down to Charlotte (Concord actually) to go to the speedway where they were having a huge auto fair. Lots of nice cars for sale and just about any part you might need for that project car you're working on.

You were in Concord, and you went to a CHAIN restaurant?!?! :facepalm:

Exit 63 off of I-85 (Lane St. Extension) - proceed east toward Kannapolis. ONE (1) block before reaching U.S. 29, turn right. Proceed one block north. On your right, at the next intersection, is Lee's Sandwich Shop. Can't even remember those street names, but I started eating there in 1973; HAVEN'T eaten there since 1996 - I'd NEVER forget how to get there, though. What I wouldn't GIVE, to taste ONE of their hotdogs today, with an ice cold Cheerwine. Best thing about Cheerwine is, it always makes you thirsty for ANOTHER Cheerwine!
icon12.gif

A little further up U.S. 29 in China Grove (where I grew up), is the Stag & Doe, & Gary's BBQ - both fixtures for GOOD local since before I was born ('67). Johnson's, on U.S. 29 north of China Grove is another nice little family restaurant. I'm SO old, I ate there as a little boy when they still had a DIRT FLOOR!!! Awesome stuff!

Getting to Salisbury, you want to eat at ANY of the REAL hickory wood pit BBQ joints - Paul's (U.S. 29/S. Main St.), Hendrix BBQ (West Innes Street), and College BBQ (Mahaley Ave., a couple of blocks from Catawba College - I worked there while in hi skrool! :favorites37:). REAL Lexington-style, NC BBQ, cooked the RIGHT way - with BBQ slaw (sometimes called "red slaw," OUTSIDE of NC), hushpuppies, whale blubber fried french fries (at least they were in the early '80's when I worked there!!!), homemade banana pudding, SWEET TEA (the way GOD intended it!), and Cheerwine & Sundrop - God's OWN softdrinks!
icon10.gif

And if yo want the BEST hot dogs on the PLANET, then you want Hap's Dogs, on the east side of Main St., just past Innes, in the heart of downtown Salisbury.

Anything else, is just carbs and cholesterol.

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
You were in Concord, and you went to a CHAIN restaurant?!?! :facepalm:

We wanted to stay close to the speedway. Of course we could have eaten at the speedway and paid $8.00 for a soda and $12.00 for a hot dog. But we opted to go to Sonny's instead. It was close by and we knew what kind of food they served.

oppo

Full Access Member
20160723_141404.jpg

Some lemon pan seared salmon and spaghetti from Casa de Oppo. All from scratch, no recipe and it turned out delicious.

Members online

No members online now.