My Military Service

Arckadian

I joined the US Army back in 1998 and did my basic in Fort Lost in the Woods (Leonardwood for those not in the military). My AIT (Advanced individual training) was in Fort Know and I was a 63T Bradley Hull Mechanic. My first duty assignment was Camp Garry Owen, Korea. I spent one year there on the Iron Man tour (only two 4 day weekends in one year.) During that tour we suffered a training incident and bad things happened. After that I was sent to Georgia Fort Stewart.

While at Fort Stewart I did a tour in Kosovo. While in Kosovo, September 11 happened and my unit was getting ready for war. It was a very intense time for us, but I ended up getting out of the military because of medical problems. My knees just could not take the brutality of the service. It was an honor to serve my country and I did get to go to some amazing places, but I am glad to be home.

Main reason for that I suppose is, I have a wife now and a little redhaired baby girl. If I had stayed in that may not have happened when it did. Also, I found out several months after I left Georgia that my unit was sent to Iraq and the Maintainace teams I was on got hit.

I never looked to see who was injured and who was not as I like to think of them still out there kickin arse and serving their country. *Raises a glass* To my fellow soldiers... may they serve with distinction and honor... always.

GLOCK V

Full Access Member
My son justin on the USS. GW. "go navy"
justin50cal.jpg

ViperJeff

Administrator
Well, I joined up in 83 and learned everything there was to know about the oldest computer on the planet. I was an Avionics Tech on a 1959 F-106 Delta Dart in the Great State of North Dakota Minot AFB.

While there we converted over to the F-15 A/B and became Eagle Keepers (still in Avionics).

From there I went to Hill AFB in Utah and started working on F-16 A/B's still in Avionics.

From there it was off to Kunsan ROK to work on F-16 C/D's. Spent a year there which included duty in Singapore and the Philippines and two typhoons. Best part, a 90 minute Incentive Ride in the Back Seat of an F-16 to include some control time... What a Rush!!!

From there is was back to Hill AFB to work on F-16 C/D's Lantern and FLIR equipped, became ABDR Qualified as a Avionics 7-Level and the Best part, I had my F-16 Run License. I tell you what, 105% Throttle, just WOW! Two weeks after being sent to NCO School, I was recalled and was on a flight to the Middle East....

From Aug 1990 to March 1991 I was on a patch of ground in the middle of the UAE called Al Minhad. Desert Storm for us was a 100% Night Mission and the first night, we expected a 50% loss. Stood there at the End Of The Runway and counted jets as they landed. Not only did 100% of them come back, from that day on 100% came back.

After spending almost two years away from my family, I hung up my stripes and have happily been with my bride for 33 years this month.

I served with Proudly

5th (FIS) Fighter Interceptor Squadron Minot AFB "The Spitten Kittens"
421st (TFW) Tactical Fighter Squadron Hill AFB UT "Black Widows" Kiss of Death
80th (AGS) Aircraft Generation Squadron Kunsan ROK "Juvats" The HeadHunters
421st (TFW) Tactical Fighter Squadron Hill AFB UT/Al Minhad UAE "Black Widows" Kiss of Death

TheOl55

Full Access Member
Too ALL who have served, Including my son Justin who was there in 90-91 (Army), I Thank You.

And Congrats on the 33 Jeff. Not as hard as some seem to think.

Derek

Dunno if it counts, but I joined the South African Defence Force in 82 where we fought in Angola. I am now a U S citizen and feel as Patriotic to our uniformed servicemen and women as I do for my counterparts back in SA. One of these days I am sure my Son will want to continue to fly the flag.
Thank You to all that have and still do serve this Great Country.

SHWELL

joined the USAF in '95.... Spent the first year as a Biomed Tech, then the next 7 as a Finance Troop... Then the last 4 as an Air Traffic Controller... Loved what I did. Brain Tumor eneded the Dream Ride early, 12 years Active.. Retired as an E5 (E6 Select)..

Now, I spend my days as a stay at home dad, Gun Enthusiast.. Airsoft guns and Real Steel absorb all of my free time.

FiveOH

Thank you all for your service!!! Can't imagine what this Country would be like if it weren't for y'all.

I'm not military but I do serve the citizens of East Baton Rouge Parish here in Baton Rouge, LA. It's a never ending battle...

DEFSTUGRP

91B Medic '95-'97, 3rd ACR FT. Carson (Airborne, in a non-Airborne Unit)

11B Infantryman/91W Medic '01-'04, 56th Brigade (56th Stryker Brigade Combat Team) as it was transitioning into the "Stryker Brigade".

Deployment to Kosovo, Rotation KFOR 5A. 2003/04.

Still miss being in.

Still serving the U.S., just in a different role now.

Arckadian

91B Medic '95-'97, 3rd ACR FT. Carson (Airborne, in a non-Airborne Unit)

11B Infantryman/91W Medic '01-'04, 56th Brigade (56th Stryker Brigade Combat Team) as it was transitioning into the "Stryker Brigade".

Deployment to Kosovo, Rotation KFOR 5A. 2003/04.

Still miss being in.

Still serving the U.S., just in a different role now.

Ahhhhh another Kosovoan.... what did you think of the country? And did your unit allow a little break to Bulgaria while you were there as well?

DEFSTUGRP

Ahhhhh another Kosovoan.... what did you think of the country? And did your unit allow a little break to Bulgaria while you were there as well?

They allowed the Bulgaria trip, but I opted not to go... Although I heard that J.J. Murphy's was the place to go drinking there...lol

I'd go back there again... I'd consider it ruggedly beautiful. I was the TF CSM's right hand man on the deployment, so we went everywhere. We even did a ton of Off Roading.

I wish I could go back with the Department of State or something...

Arckadian

I will never be able to do much for my country again unless I can find a way to fix my knee. But I wont complain to much, I served my country as best I could. I went to Bulgaria...... Some of the bars were well worth aavoiding :p and the cab drivers LITERALLY costed the soldiers an arm and a leg.

SWSS

Full Access Member
Although I never served, I thank God for all of those that have served and thank you to those who let them go.
It is the land of the free because of the brave.
My current job allows me to protect them and thier families while they protect us.

racedad70

It will be 24 yrs Oct 30th. Still going. MOS 92Y, 14M, 91B and currently in recruiting command. This is my last stop before the retirement. Thanks to all those before me and the ones to come. Hooha!

Last edited:

Silver-Bolt

Full Access Member
Joined the Army in 83. Basic and AIT at Ft Benning, Jump School Ft Benning, Ranger school Ft Benning, Air Assault school Ft Campbell, JOTC Ft Sherman Panama, Arctic Light Fighter Alaska, Survival instructor West Point, Canadian Jump school, and a nice vacation in the Honduran jungle. It's been a long time and I wish I would have stayed in.

Sgt. Rock

Full Access Member
Joined the USAF in 1973 and first assignment was March AFB, which at the time was a SAC base with B-52's. As a ground radio operator really enjoyed my duty there. Two years later transfered to Wiesbaden AB, Germany. Which at the time was still West/East Germany and the Cold War was still active. Traveled the rails throughout Europe and visited General Pattons grave and Verdun battlefield. At the time qualified with the small arms expert ribbon with the M-16 :shooter: and promoted to E-4 and reassigned to Sembach AB. Got out in early '77 and went to college on my GI Bill. No regrets and would do it again...

BrothersInArms

Supporting Vendor
Thank you all for your service! :shooter:

I joined the Army right out of high school in 2004. During my 8 years in, I was stationed at a number of places across the country... SC, VA, TX, CA, KY. I was in Iraq in 2006-2007 with the 1st Air Cav Brigade(1st Cav Division), and in Afghanistan in 2011 with the 159th Combat Aviation Brigade(101st Airborne Division).

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts