Mountain Man Rendezvous

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
It usually isn't thought of being stupid, we just don't realize that the outcome is still the same once we have consumed copious amounts of adult beverages...Just sayin'.
:badidea:

It may not seem stupid at the time. But if somebody happens to video it and you watch it later, there's a high probability you'll think so.

Last edited:

Mockstar

Full Access Member
If you guys don't mind, I'd like to show a picture of my father in his Rendezvous buckskins holding his Connecticut Valley Arms 50 cal. He was born in 1949 in Story Wy, and for his entire life was the "Mountain Man" I grew up to know him as. This pic was taken in the mid 80's at one of the rendezvous we used to attend here in Wisconsin when I was younger. It was not just a "show" gun. He used on every deer hunt from the 80's - 90's, and we always had venison in the freezer. I also am showing a picture of myself at the same time (1982).

I lost my father this past November just 20 days before his 63rd birthday. I still have the CVA muzzle loader, and hope to someday fire it again. I will also teach his 2 grandsons (my sons 11 and 4) how to use it since he never got the chance.

Thanks for letting me share this with you guys. They just don't make 'em like this anymore. I miss you dad.

Last edited:

Mockstar

Full Access Member
Thanks guys. Here are some close ups of the rifle itself. It does need some work. The buttstock is cracked on the bottom(glued on), it does need to have the barrel re-browned, and I can't get the back plug out of the barrel yet. I'm probly gonna have to soak it in penetrating oil, and put some heat to it.

DSCN1696_zps37ebe538.jpg

DSCN1698_zpsb17c98ef.jpg

DSCN1700_zps3ff3d675.jpg

DSCN1701_zps6d340ec2.jpg

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Thanks guys. Here are some close ups of the rifle itself. It does need some work. The buttstock is cracked on the bottom(glued on), it does need to have the barrel re-browned, and I can't get the back plug out of the barrel yet. I'm probly gonna have to soak it in penetrating oil, and put some heat to it.
Have You done anything with Your C.V. rifle yet ???
If it were mine, on fixing the stock.
Get some brass wire, or thin rod and some of that weather proof Elmers Glue, Remove the split off portion and clean off any glue residue from the stock and the split off piece of wood.
Drill an apropriat amount of holes through the broke off piece and into the butt stock, while holding them firmly in place, then, clip off as many pieces of the brass rod as there are holes drilled, apply the glue, drive in the brass pins and let it set until cured, be sure to wipe off any excess glue and watch it for an hour or so, if any more glue spreads out from between the repair then clean it ASAP.
On the stuck bore plug, pour, down the barrel, a couple of spoonfulls of regular old "3 in one oil" and see if that will loosen it.
I have used three in one oil after trying some of the famous brands of penetrating oil and got the froze on/in nuts and bolts loose with ease.
Great pics. of Your Dad, May He rest in peace.
I`ll make it over to one of those RonnyVoos one of these years.
Maybe, take along some balls and slugs for tradin stock.

Mockstar

Full Access Member
I haven't stated to do anything to it yet, it's still just hanging there collecting dust, but thanks for the advice Marty.......... I appreciate that. I'll have more downtime this winter, so maybe I'll start to mess with it then.

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
I haven't stated to do anything to it yet, it's still just hanging there collecting dust, but thanks for the advice Marty.......... I appreciate that. I'll have more downtime this winter, so maybe I'll start to mess with it then.

By using brass pins for the repair, it`ll give it the looks of a traditional fix.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts