Little bit of rust

ViperJeff

Administrator
What is the best way to remove small bits of rust? :(

Been browsing the web, seen some ideas, just wondering if anyone as practicle experience befor I do anything :eek:

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
Some WD-40 perhaps. An old time remedy if you can still find it is Naval Jelly. I think Lowe's still sells it. Just don't put it on your toast.
079340802773lg.jpg

VIPR PWR HK

Full Access Member
Some WD-40 perhaps. An old time remedy if you can still find it is Naval Jelly. I think Lowe's still sells it. Just don't put it on your toast.
079340802773lg.jpg

Yeah ,,, Belly button Jelly works great:) Just not sure what is going to work and not take some of the finish with it ...... WD-40 might do the trick or maybe some gun oil .....

sixtyin5

Full Access Member
I agree with KingFriday...

I personally prefer Gunzilla, but any kind of CLP and some firm brushing should get it gone.

You may have to let the CLP soak into the rust for a couple of hours.

GLOCK V

Full Access Member
hoppes #9 and #00000 steel wool. and act like your not jacking it off. be nice and go one way only. :)

TheFuzz

Full Access Member
All good suggestions. if you can soak the whole cylinder in CLP overnight that would be ideal to get max penetration, then use a firm bristle cleaning brush to get the rust off. If it's just surface rust that should do the trick, but if the cylinder is pitted you'll need some steel wool and possibly a refinish afterwords.

ViperJeff

Administrator
Very slight pitting in one small area, nothing really bad. Decided to to keep it real clean and work on it over time as it doesn't interfere with the operation

hotrodpc

Super Moderator
Yeah ,,, Belly button Jelly works great:) Just not sure what is going to work and not take some of the finish with it ...... WD-40 might do the trick or maybe some gun oil .....

Belly Button Jelly just sounds gross. Although, from the right hot female it might be some good stuff. Should be far better than Toe Jam. :rofl: You know, that **** in between your toes that you get from wearing your sweaty work boots, along with sock lint and the nasty dirt that accumulates.

I'd imagine Toe Jam is much nastier than Belly Button Jelly. However, I don't think I want either on my toast. :happpy175:

hotrodpc

Super Moderator
Very slight pitting in one small area, nothing really bad. Decided to to keep it real clean and work on it over time as it doesn't interfere with the operation

So how well did you get it down or how is it looking now???

I had quite a bit of rust on my GP100 from it being left on top of a vehicle out of the kids reach on a camp trip. It got left out overnight, got dewed on. The wife (at the time, now ex) Zipped up the case not telling me it had gotten wet, then a week later when I opened up the case to clean it, it was to late and ugly. I used 000 steel wool and Hoppes #9. It did get the rust off, and no pitting, but it also took about 50% of the bluing along with it. Hoppes #9 alone wasn't even touching it. As much as I didn't want to, since this is one of the very early GP100's, I figured the day will come when I Duracoat it. If I could get a good quality Re Bluing job done to it, I'd probably prefer to do that, but I think that's quite expensive now days.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts