Full Access Member
This one is mine....

DSCN0232.JPG

This one is the Wifes...

DSCN0356.JPG

Max

Full Access Member
Hello everyone

I know it's been some time since the last post here, but I'm just a little too proud to keep silent.
I got my license yesterday morning!

I already bought my car in January, as it needed some work done.
It'd belonged to my niece's grandmother, and spent a year parked on a meadow, looking quite bad.
Car and parts added up to about 770$ (including some better breaks).
Had to do all the work myself, as sending it to a workshop would've been too expensive.
It's a '99 Opel Corsa B (which I think was never sold in the US).
It may be the smallest car here (147,3 inches long), but it's a good one to gain experience, and the insurance is cheap.
Also, it's a stick-shift, which I think is something one should learn to drive.
IMG_0086.jpg

Max

oppo

Full Access Member
My old ride
20160205_110039.jpg

My new to me ride
2012 Silverado LT Z71
20160227_145827.jpg

2003 Honda CBR1100XX - mine
2014 Can-Am Spyder RS-S - wife's
20151025_093223.jpg

kwo51

Full Access Member
We were just wondering where Max was. Mine is in my profile. Good to here from you. Be safe .There are lots of teen drivers here in accidents. First year is the most common.

The War Wagon

Full Access Member
Wife has an '08 Caravan SXT. Looks like a mini-van. We'll SKIP that... :rolleyes:

cd75845c-6c5f-43a4-80a5-4f58794dddcf_zps5ylygums.jpg

'92 Dodge Ramcharger - baby girl in the front seat. Off-road toy.

'07 Jeep Commander - 2 1/2" level/lift, 265/17 Cooper ATP's, aFe CAI, Flowmaster Super 44 & Fastman throttlebody. 287 V-8. It's my daily driver.
icon6.gif

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
My wife drives an '08 Jeep Commander. Yeah, the MPG is awful. I even have the Hemi MDS system that cuts back to 4 cylinders when it's cruising. Still won't do any better than 15. Plus the "fly by wire" throttle has a mind of it's own. But it has never stranded us. It has over 109K miles on it with the factory plugs still in it. All we've done is oil/filter changes and put gas in it. Last time I took it to my mechanic I told him to do the plugs and wires. He said "Maybe next time, there's no problem with these". Saved me a couple hundred dollars.

Last edited:

The War Wagon

Full Access Member
My wife drives an '08 Jeep Commander. Yeah, the MPG is awful. I even have the Hemi MDS system that cuts back to 4 cylinders when it's cruising. Still won't do ant better than 15. Plus the "fly by wire" throttle has a mind of it's own. But it has never stranded us. It has over 109K miles on it with the factory plugs still in it. All we've done is oil/filter changes and put gas in it. Last time I took it to my mechanic I told him to do the plugs and wires. He said "Maybe next time, there's no problem with these". Saved me a couple hundred dollars.

When I bought mine, I knew very little about them. I was actually going to look at another car over in northern WV, but decided to see what else they had on the lot, before driving over an hour to get there. The only other V-8 that would hold four kids, was the Jeep. So I did a crash course study on them by interwebz before I went.

DIDN'T like the other car, so I took the Jeep for a test drive - I was SOLD! And I felt like I was being SUCH a 'grown-up,' by getting the smaller V-8... D'OH.

I test drove a Hemi Commander 2 weeks later (traded my wife's van in on a newer Dodge Van, and decided to test drive the Commander while I was killing time). DEFINITELY wish I'd gotten the Hemi after THAT. MUCH better power-to-weight ratio, and the gas mileage is about the same. I have a 50' commute (walk!) to work in the morning, and barely put 6k miles a year on my Jeep. The Hemi would've made a big difference on driveability here in the South Hills of Pittsburgh.

CRAZY thing about mileage; I was pulling between 9.5 & 10.5mpg around town (it's Superchipped; I run an 87 octane tune, but 89 octane gas). I hafta go to Lancaster, PA once every other year, and Buffalo once or twice a year; otherwise, I rarely even leave Allegheny Co. (Pittsburgh)! On those trips, I might pull 19.8 or 19.9mpg - not QUITE 20mpg.

So in September, I add spacers (couldn't find a set of wheels with the proper offset for it, that didn't look 'ghetto'
icon11.gif
), the lift kit, and bigger tires (245/60/17's came on it - went 265/60/17's with the Cooper ATPs). I also had the bigger Fastman throttlebody installed at that time, so your first thoughts are gonna be, the gas mileage is gonna suuuuuuuuuuuuck...

Two weeks later, I go to Buffalo. In heavy rain, with intermittent a/c usage, I get 21.9mpg going up there. :boxed: In clear, sunny weather coming back, I get 22.2mpg!!! :eek: And YES - I used the Superchips tuner to adjust for the new, BIGGER, tire size before I went!!!

I'm now pulling 12 -14mpg around town as well. So when I WIN the Powerball, and drop the crate 392 Hemi in it, I can't WAIT to see how much my mpg picks up then!!! :favorites37:

kwo51

Full Access Member
Had an old 1974 f 100 with a 302 that got 10 mph even not running. Uncle had the same truck with a 352 cuin. motor that got 16 mph. All in the rear end .

oppo

Full Access Member
War Wagon, how do you like those ATP's? Do they seem like they will make it quite a few miles?

The War Wagon

Full Access Member
War Wagon, how do you like those ATP's? Do they seem like they will make it quite a few miles?

I had Shi... I mean, Nittos, on it before, and they sucked out LOUD. I BARELY got 20k out of them!!! :boxed::boxed::boxed::boxed:

The Coopers are wearing great - I've driven it to Buffalo and Ashland, KY so far - with nary a hiccup. Does GREAT in rain, though the mild winter didn't give me much snow to play in. I think they'd be great in mild muck and stone as well. I'd heard nothing but good about them before I bought them (and I shopped around THIS time), and nothing since has changed my mind.

Got 'em from Discount Tire Direct, too - great, FAST, service there also!

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
I'm running Firestone Destination A/T's on our Jeep (stock size). They've been a great tire and wear well. It is 99.99% on the street. Didn't want something aggressive on there. Just wanted a smooth comfortable ride. And these fit the bill. Since it's my wife's daily driver I've done nothing performance wise to it. It's bone stock. I would like to get my hands on a set of Jeep SRT wheels and tires and put them on. That would really help the looks of the Commander. Oh yeah........
cmdr3.jpg

The War Wagon

Full Access Member
We average 40 - 60 inches a snow per winter up here, and the roads are TERRIBLE with potholes. I wanted RID of the street Nittos, and a more aggressive A/T tread.

The ATP is a good tread, but rides much quieter than you might expect. On my trip to KY last month, there was a lot more WIND noise than road noise.

Of course, I had a LOT more #3 son noise, too. :rolleyes:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRBmxmkcZuQ[/ame]

kwo51

Full Access Member
Surprise no road kill. My Copper tires seem to have flat spots in them when first start off. I will go back to Bridgestone duelers for my Tacoma 4 wheel drive..

oppo

Full Access Member
Speaking of road trips. Looks like I get to see some of that pretty PA countryside. Too bad it is a flying trip in an F350 without cruise control. Anyplace along I70 from Monroeville west that I need to stop and eat?

The War Wagon

Full Access Member
Speaking of road trips. Looks like I get to see some of that pretty PA countryside. Too bad it is a flying trip in an F350 without cruise control. Anyplace along I70 from Monroeville west that I need to stop and eat?

The only place I've ever eaten between here and Lancaster, is Popeyes... at the rest stop plazas! :anitoof:

The War Wagon

Full Access Member
Anyplace along I70 from Monroeville west that I need to stop and eat?

Now I missed that the first time - I thought you were heading towards Philly.

There are a LOTTA great places in Pittsburgh to eat - tell me what you're hankerin' for, and I'll point you there! Or, depending on the day & time, I'll even MEET you there!
icon10.gif

Members online

No members online now.