I'm Puzzled

Bigdaddy

Full Access Member
I'm trying to understand this Reciprocity and I know that it's easy for some peoples but I was told two different story. What I what to know is I live in Washington State and have my CCL for here and I also have one for AZ and OR which is a non-resident of course. The wife and I want to travel down to SC this summer and I want to travel with my firearm. Now the question I have is will I be cover for just the 4 to 5 days that I will be in SC or not? Thanks guys for your reply, I want to be legal but not without.

Mockstar

Full Access Member
I don't think ur covered. SC doesn't honor ur washington state, and in order for ur AZ permit to work, you would have to be an AZ resident. SC also does not honor OR permits either.

Mockstar

Full Access Member
Also it looks as though only RESIDENT PERMITS are honored in SC. So unless you actually live in a state that is recognized...... any non resident permit wont work.

Bigdaddy

Full Access Member
Wow, this is not what I want to hear so now it's a hard situation I guess. Thanks for making me to understand, I was trying to see about getting one that will take other CCL but so far you have to be a resident.

SWSS

Full Access Member
Tennessee is accepted like MC/VISA...except in the standard commie states.:gr_guns:

Last edited:

Mockstar

Full Access Member
Tennessee is accepted like MC/VISA...except in the standard commie states.:gr_guns:

but not in SC unless ur a Tennessee resident.

EDIT: I know what ur saying, but I don't want Bigdaddy to get confused thinking he'd be legal with a TN CCL

Last edited:

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
Don't know what your time frame is but you could get a SC non resident permit. They do honor that.

SWSS

Full Access Member
Mockstar - Agreed, guess I did not think about it from that standpoint as TN only does Resident permits. We have HCP not CCW...Handgun Carry Permit vs Concealed Carry Weapon.

Big Daddy - forget my comment, unless you wanna move to TN! No state income tax either...yeah, yeah, Maxx - "like TX". Our gunlaws are less restrictive....

hotrodpc

Super Moderator
Wow, this is not what I want to hear so now it's a hard situation I guess. Thanks for making me to understand, I was trying to see about getting one that will take other CCL but so far you have to be a resident.

So what's in SC that makes you want to go there??? I sure hope it's to see relatives. I look at it like this, it they can't reciprocate my permit, :flipthebird: I won't spend my money in your state or go there as a tourist or vacation.

About all I would do crossing a state that doesn't reciprocate where I'd have to pull over and unload and lock my weapon in the trunk, is stop to piss, and I'd be throwing my cigarette butts out the window, and trash from my snacks that I bought in the state before I crossed the border, cuz I'm not even stopping to eat. I won't even buy gas if my tank is big enough to make it across the state.

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
From what I can tell even for a non resident permit.....you must own real property in SC to obtain a non-resident license.

If that's the case, they don't want to make it easy do they?

Yeah, that's what I just found too. You have to own and pay taxes on property in SC but you don't have to live there. More sucky news.

Last edited:

Mockstar

Full Access Member
nope. even for non resident you have to submit a real property tax form along with 2 sets of fingerprints.

Bigdaddy

Full Access Member
So what's in SC that makes you want to go there??? I sure hope it's to see relatives. I look at it like this, it they can't reciprocate my permit, :flipthebird: I won't spend my money in your state or go there as a tourist or vacation.

About all I would do crossing a state that doesn't reciprocate where I'd have to pull over and unload and lock my weapon in the trunk, is stop to piss, and I'd be throwing my cigarette butts out the window, and trash from my snacks that I bought in the state before I crossed the border, cuz I'm not even stopping to eat. I won't even buy gas if my tank is big enough to make it across the state.

Well, my home is N.C. and we were planning on taking my mother to her brother house, the wife and I want to rent a car and go down to Myrtle Beach for about 4 to 5 days and drive back to N.C. stay a few days with family and fly back to Washington. I will still take my firearm but like you said I might have to unload until I get to the hotel then I will lock and load again. I also might have to tell the wife that she can go by herself, that will go over well.

Last edited:

Bigdaddy

Full Access Member
The reason I ask this question that I call the guy that gave the CC class, so unless he misunderstood my question he said that as long as I was going to visit and not move there, I was okay.

hotrodpc

Super Moderator
The reason I ask this question that I call the guy that gave the CC class, so unless he misunderstood my question he said that as long as I was going to visit and not move there, I was okay.

I would have to say that the instructor was mistaken.

I'm thinking that instructor might be mistaken too.

But, ignorance of the law isn't to going to keep you out of jail or your weapon from getting taken away, so I'd damn sure make 100% certain of all laws along the way in all states.

Bigdaddy

Full Access Member
Hmmm, bummer I guess he was so I will still take it but just I have to read up on their laws, thanks guys for making me to understand this.

Members online

No members online now.