If you never understood hollow point clogging !!!

hotrodpc

Super Moderator
Here is a great video of some FAILED Hollow Point Ammunition.

Lesson here: Avoid PMC Starfire Ammunition for Critical Defense or Tactical Purposes.

The video is very clear on what Hollow Point Clogging will or will NOT do.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOooGTDhBgw[/ame]

hotrodpc

Super Moderator
And if you'd like to compare to a successful round and what you should expect from a defense round.

This is Winchester PDX1 9mm 147 gr Supreme Elite Bonded test w/denim.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4sycG22BvI&NR=1&feature=endscreen[/ame]

kwo51

Full Access Member
Leather jacket,,car doors or glass dry wall all impede the hollow point. Shows that you might need to change ammo in the winter. Box of truth .com is real good at testing different ammo.

Concealed 27

Full Access Member
Alot of testing is available as posted... I prefer when they double up on clothing t-shirt jean jacket etc... It is important, most quality Manufactuers will do well.. here is one of my favorite videos [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfFoMyMoiX4[/ame].. I think everyone should watch this...Please comment on it if you watch it, I want comments not just viewed or read please...Concealed 27
:hidesbehindsofa:

EDIT>>> OK Im not trying to steal the OP so disrguard my asking for your comments....It had nothing to do with clogging I agree, sorry bout that Im online so much and get distracted about what im doing cause I have multiple windows open

Last edited:

hotrodpc

Super Moderator
Ok, Here's you comment. I watched 1 minute & 33 seconds of it and thought it was pretty damn boring and wasn't going to waste another 8 minutes of my life. So unless it gets good for some reason..... Not so sure what the purpose was.

kwo51

Full Access Member
:gr_guns:Watching 8 min. of bullets hitting something is not fun

Last edited:

Concealed 27

Full Access Member
Heres a better response to the op guys

It was the main reason that Federal switched from its tried and true HydraShok bullet to HST. Hornady has been using this problem to promote its FTX bullet in the new "Critical Defense" ammo line. They pre-fill the HP cavity with a flexible polymer, and claim now denim can't get in, and the polymer expands to give the hydrostatic pressure needed to ensure HP expansion.

Others, like Federal, have tweeked their HP designs. If you take a look at Barnes XPB bullets, they have a very large cavity.

This is probably quite important for 9mm and .380 effectiveness, not so much for .45. If you're concerned about overpenetration, expansion is always important.

Last edited:

hotrodpc

Super Moderator
It was the main reason that Federal switched from its tried and true HydraShok bullet to HST. Hornady has been using this problem to promote its FTX bullet in the new "Critical Defense" ammo line. They pre-fill the HP cavity with a flexible polymer, and claim now denim can't get in, and the polymer expands to give the hydrostatic pressure needed to ensure HP expansion.

Others, like Federal, have tweeked their HP designs. If you take a look at Barnes XPB bullets, they have a very large cavity.

This is probably quite important for 9mm and .38 effectiveness, not so much for .45. If you're concerned about overpenetration, expansion is always important.

I think you mean .380 effectiveness, not to be concerned about .38 Special which if fairly potent.
Overpenetration is important when your concerned about what's on the other side of someone if it goes thru them. I'd think for a handgun round, it would have to be at pretty close range for that to happen.

Concealed 27

Full Access Member
I think you mean .380 effectiveness, not to be concerned about .38 Special which if fairly potent.
Overpenetration is important when your concerned about what's on the other side of someone if it goes thru them. I'd think for a handgun round, it would have to be at pretty close range for that to happen.

Thats what I said read it again please..

Concealed 27

Full Access Member
Originally Posted by hotrodpc

you are correct, I went back and changed it

Concealed 27

Full Access Member
Been a long day busdriver im sorry brother...Please forive my dumb ass,, changing it makes it impossable to fpllow..ROFL

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.