Great Training with my GP100!

Bluez

Full Access Member
Yesterday I had the opportunity to shoot my GP100 on an outdoor range completely left to my own devices and free to arrange targets as I pleased and to move while shooting.

I staggered targets and practiced moving while shooting at different targets at different angles.
Choosing different spots. some runs would be center mass , some runs would be heads and hips.

Once while running i randomly decided to shoot at one close target (a foot) at short distance and it blew the paper target completely off the rail ( with .357 Magnum)

It was an expensive day in Ammo but I dont get such opportunities often and am usually limited to a indoor handgun range with "safety rules"
So I took full advantage:

Went thru 3 boxes of 125gr 38 spl and 2 (or 3) boxes of 142 gr 357 magnum
Both Fiocchi.

Expensive in Ammo but by the end of the day I could feel an improvement in my gun handling in unorthodox shooting.
Attached is a pic of the dirty gun.. The flash hid some of the dirt but the muzzle was very brown. :D

Attachments

• 101_0636.jpg
    101_0636.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:

Bluez

Full Access Member
I was shooting at ranges from 0-12 yards.

I am very satisfied with the adjustable sights on the 4 inch versions but very dissatisfied with the fixed sights on the 4 inch version.

The fixed sights are too high in front!!!
As a result when you align them with the rears the barrrel points down a bit!

So when you aim perfectly the round hits 4 inches low at 7.5 yards!
Unbelievable!!

I love the 3 inch otherwise as its lighter not just in the barrel and lays in the hand so wonderfully.

But i own 2 3-inchers a regular one and a Wiley Clapp edition and the front sights are high on both with a resulting point of impact thats substantially lower than the point of aim.

A work around is to aim with the fronts a little high but that becomes in accurate since more guesstimation goes in and it slows you down as well.

Since i dont want to get slowed down I just align them properly and accept that they hit 4 inch low.

I could adjust by aiming a bit high.. but again this will be approximate only and again any conscious effort like that will slow you down.

This was a contributing factor why I wanted to shoot so much to get a handle on workarounds to manage the too high front sights.

Members online

No members online now.