Going back from AFG to VFG

Bluez

Full Access Member
I have been mounting AFGs on my favorite rifles for some time now.

In the case of the SIG I was relying on only the AVG because both the AFG and the VFG wouldn't fit on its shorter rail.
It looked very harmonious and minimalist and that appealed to me. (see pic)

Also when bench shooting I found myself using the AFG exlusively even in thos erifles where I had both a AFG and VFG.

But this week i have been practicing reaction drills more serious than before.
Again and again.
I was doing it with a rifle that was equipped with both AFG and VFG as some of my AR's are.

And I noticed that when doing reaction drills / updrills the AFG was not useful at all, and I relied 100% on the VFG.

Since those .drills cover some of the most critical shooting situations certainly more critical than benchshooting I made me change my SIG 516

You see my SIG 516 had a rail that was too short to mount both a AFG and a VFG, like I do on me LWRCs.

So I decided to take off the AFG and replace it with a Blackhawk VFG, I find as a result the SIG looks less harmonious , especially since I left the VFG at full length of the "stub" (I like the option of using a VFG as a monopod in the prone thats why i left tit longer tho I dont much like the looks of it. but functions over style..)

The following pics are for comparison and show LWRC with both AFG and VFG the SIG in its previous configuration and the Sig 516 in its new configuration:

I may still shorten the VFG in the last pic but that is how its currently configured. Doesnt look as good as before with just the AFG, but I think its more functional for reactive fire in CQB type situations.
it's position BTW is partially dictated by the ability to actuate the WML strobe with my thumb

Attachments

• 100_1623.jpg
    100_1623.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 11
  • 100_1621.jpg
    100_1621.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 9
  • 100_1608.jpg
    100_1608.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 10
  • 100_1636.jpg
    100_1636.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

STF

Full Access Member
I decided that I didnt like my AFG so I swapped it out for the new shorter BCM gunfighter VFG the other day. It feels much better but I just use it mainly as a hand stop sort of.

Bluez

Full Access Member
On this note.
I may even take off my AFG's entirely after all.

Holding it in the living room it felt natural and superior at first.
but after this weekend of Carbine class I found myself using either the VFG ( standing/walking) or the front of the magazine well ( prone)

Only when kneeling would I wind up grabbing the rifle by the AFG (and I dont like kneeling due to plantar fascitis)

STF

Full Access Member
I felt the same about the AFG. Felt great at home but didn't while shooting. I'll be honest I bought my first AFG because I thought it looked cool and I had just gotten my first AR so I had a little bit of Lego mentality initially

only reason I have the AFG on my AR pistol is because I can't legally use a VFG.

Bluez

Full Access Member
In all fairness to the AFG it has its place.
A friend of mine is a whiz on the kneeling position and for him that may be a very worthwhile addition.

Last edited:

kwo51

Full Access Member
A place for both of them and sometimes none. Great on M4 but long barrel guns not so much.

Last edited:

Mockstar

Full Access Member
I was unsure which one I'd like more, so I bought both. I found the AFG to be more comfortable for me. I think it's because I never really used a VFG, and the AFG doesn't change the normal way of holding the rifle. I even bought a second one for my tacticool 10/22.

Bluez

Full Access Member
I think it has a lot to do with how you hold your rifle.
At home and on the square range I found myself using the AFG all the time. But in the woods during tactical drill I would only use it in the kneeling.
When standing it would be VFG because its easier to move the gun around and when prone the magwell.

Peoples body builds also have an influence I think in addition to habits

Members online

No members online now.