Dry fire on automatic rifles?

Lemon

Hello,

I'm a student and I'm currently making a FPS video game.

I had a question about guns, and I thought you guys could help me.
I'm creating all the weapon system, and I was wondering, if you keep firing with an automatic rifle (M4A1, AK47...), at some point, you won't have any ammo and you'll have a dry fire. But if you don't release the trigger, will there be only one dry fire (only one "tak" sound), or will there be multiple dry fire, at the same rate of the weapon shots per amount-of-time (like "tak tak tak...")?

This question may be stupid, but I'm just trying to get the more realistic result I can!

Thank you and sorry if I posted in the wrong section!

shooter

Hey bud. You'll only hear one click. The act of the rifle firing is what resets the trigger onto a fresh cartridge in preparation for another firing.

Hope that helps.

Rusty Shackleford

Full Access Member
And most rifles won't make any sound due to having a last round bolt hold open.

Exceptions would be the AK series of rifles, G3, FS2000 and a few other euro rifles.....just something else to consider.

Bluez

Full Access Member
Hey bud. You'll only hear one click. The act of the rifle firing is what resets the trigger onto a fresh cartridge in preparation for another firing.

Hope that helps.

What he said, except if it has a bolt hold like M16/M4/AR15 open then there wont be a click

shooter

Yeah, I guess I was so focused on the lack of repeated anything that I neglected the obvious which is there is no click with most of the guns we all shoot.

Unless you've ever accidentally had you thumb on the slide lock lever after the last round and the slide went forward and you went click! Worst feeling in the world. I can't imagine that happening when someone is shooting back. Commence pants pooping.

kwo51

Full Access Member
The 2 worst sounds from a gun are a click when you want a boom and a boom when you want a click.

Jo6pak

Full Access Member
My buddy (a Marine who did 2 tours in Afghanistan and one in Iraq)) always said, "The loudest sound in combat is a click when you expect a bang."

He was on the good side of that phrase when an insurgent in Iraq jumped out of a doorway with an RPK leveled at him. He said he heard the click clear as day from about 20 metres away. When they pulled the weapon off the guy's body, it had a full magazine but not a round in the chamber.

Last edited:

Bluez

Full Access Member
My buddy (a Marine who did 2 tours in Afghanistan and one in Iraq)) always said, "The loudest sound in combat is a click when you expect a bang."

He was on the good side of that phrase when an insurgent in Iraq jumped out of a doorway with an RPK leveled at him. He said he heard the click clear as day from about 20 metres away. When they pulled the weapon off the guy's body, it had a full magazine but not a round in the chamber.

Wow talk about lucky!:happy160:

kwo51

Full Access Member
Not for hojie. Another communist dead. Nelson Mandala (communist ) dead. Maybe another Holiday in store for the working people.

Jo6pak

Full Access Member
Nelson Mandela was labeled a communist by an oppressive, racist government to give them a reason to imprison him and keep him from speaking out against apartheid.
He pushed for a helped win true liberty for all in South Africa. He held to his convictions and beliefs when many simply would have given up. For that, I give him the respect he deserves, salute his spirit, and hold the world a little poorer for his loss.
I hold him in the same esteem as men like Gandhi, Martin Luther King Jr. and Lec Walesa.

And WTF does Nelson Mandela have to do with this thread anyway???:bs:

Members online

No members online now.