Does Anybody HAM Radio?

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
Like the title says. Been thinking about getting into HAM radio. Just picked up a cheap Baofeng UV-5R to listen too. Can't transmit, I'm not licensed yet. Enjoy listening to the scanner too.

VIPR PWR HK

Full Access Member
Like the title says. Been thinking about getting into HAM radio. Just picked up a cheap Baofeng UV-5R to listen too. Can't transmit, I'm not licensed yet. Enjoy listening to the scanner too.

My dad use to Ham ... He built the system using Heath Kits from Radio Shack . That was a long time ago .. Damn antenna must have been 50 feet in the air on the side of the house ....I remember He was doing Morse code with it which I believe was one of the steps to getting a license. I also remember listening to other people and foreign languages coming from the receiver . I don't remember much more than that :eek::)

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
My dad use to Ham ... He built the system using Heath Kits from Radio Shack . That was a long time ago .. Damn antenna must have been 50 feet in the air on the side of the house ....I remember He was doing Morse code with it which I believe was one of the steps to getting a license. I also remember listening to other people and foreign languages coming from the receiver . I don't remember much more than that :eek::)

I think it's a macho thing with the antennas. He who has the highest antenna is the winner. Back in the day when HAM was young the Heath kits were just about the only way to get into it. There are different levels to licensing now. I don't think Morse is needed in the entry level ticket.

VIPR PWR HK

Full Access Member
I think it's a macho thing with the antennas. He who has the highest antenna is the winner. Back in the day when HAM was young the Heath kits were just about the only way to get into it. There are different levels to licensing now. I don't think Morse is needed in the entry level ticket.

I think he was the winner back then in our neighborhood haha .... I wonder if heath kits still exist ? Maybe I should investigate this , Old memories rekindled with this thread ,,,, Just maybe something interesting to get into ..:)

Arckadian

Never used a HAM radio myself. I have seen them used in movies and shows though. I was not aware that they still required a license to transmit on one though.

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
Never used a HAM radio myself. I have seen them used in movies and shows though. I was not aware that they still required a license to transmit on one though.
Yep, As far as I know the only radios that don't require a license are CB and FRS. HAM, GMRS or just about anything else does.

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
I think he was the winner back then in our neighborhood haha .... I wonder if heath kits still exist ? Maybe I should investigate this , Old memories rekindled with this thread ,,,, Just maybe something interesting to get into ..:)

You can find Heath radio's on Craigslist and Ebay.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts