Colonel George "Bud" Day MOH passes away

Sgt. Rock

Full Access Member
MIAMI — Retired Col. George "Bud" Day, a Medal of Honor recipient who spent 5½ years as a POW in Vietnam and was Arizona Sen. John McCain's cellmate, has died at the age of 88, his widow said Sunday.

Day, one of the nation's most highly decorated servicemen since Gen. Douglas MacArthur and later a tireless advocate for veterans' rights, died Saturday surrounded by family at his home in Shalimar, after a long illness, Doris Day said.

"He would have died in my arms if I could have picked him up," she said.

Day received the Medal of Honor for escaping his captors for 10 days after the aircraft he was piloting was shot down over North Vietnam. In all, he earned more than 70 medals during service in World War II, Korea and Vietnam.

He was an enlisted Marine serving in the Pacific during World War II and an Air Force pilot in the Korean and Vietnam wars.

Gongs.jpg

TheOl55

Full Access Member
I Thank God You Were On Our Side

I Thank You for Your Years of Service

Godspeed Colonel Day

RIP

appencydaniel

In honor of the passing of the great Col. "Bud" Day, SpiritClips from Hallmark invites you to watch and share "Indivisible," a short film about the courage of Senator McCain and Col. Day while they were held captive in Vietnam: http://www.hallmarkspiritclips.com/films/indivisible

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts