Any computer guys here?

STF

Full Access Member
So I have a computer tower that I want to setup in my home but not at a computer desk.

I want to set the tower up in my closet and access it remotely (screen/keyboard/mouse etc....) from say the living room or the garage or where ever.

Thoughts, suggestions?

Thanks.

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
So I have a computer tower that I want to setup in my home but not at a computer desk.

I want to set the tower up in my closet and access it remotely (screen/keyboard/mouse etc....) from say the living room or the garage or where ever.

Thoughts, suggestions?

Thanks.
If You do`nt have a WIFI set up in Your home, get one to going. N is the newest, I think, for now.
Get a wireless card for Your tower if Your WIFI is too far from the tower, or, the tower can be wired to the router which makes for faster signals, wireless mouse and keyboard. Do`nt shoot the mouse, they are quite harmless.
Do`nt ask Me how, but I know it can be done. I have My tower in the attic, printer is up there too, if it were a wireless printer I would have it on the ground floor. My laptops down stairs connects through the upstairs tower then to the printer. It is a security enabled network with the guest program shut off. i will take NO chances of someone being able to hack into My systems through that "GUEST" option.
Install the keyboard and mouse into the desktop and get them all configured they should be able to take off from there.If they do`nt have a strong enough signal they may have to be set up through the WIFI also.
The moniter, if it is a newer one may be able to set it up through the wifi, I know TVs can be setup so Your computer can connect through the WIFI and I think the moniters can too.

Last edited:

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Time and patience and it will all come together, along with a lot of searching, trying and retrying until I can get them all configured.
I then, can never rememer what all I did to make it all work so I pray it never breaks and have to go through it all again.
Well worthn it though.

STF

Full Access Member
So you're running your tower from you laptop? Basically just using the laptop as the output?

That's what I want to do in the end. I need something I can fold up and put next to the bedside table(no extra keyboard/monitor).

STF

Full Access Member
I guess what I'm saying is instead of buying a $2500 laptop that can run the programs I need to I can use a $400 laptop and run those programs off of the tower...

JuggNuttz

what are you trying to run? like if its a graphically intensive program, youl still probably need a high end laptop. but as far as being able to access the tower and do some things on it, ou need a program called LogMeIn, youll be able to run anything installedd on that computer and see it on your screen, albiet with a bit of lag of course.

the computer guy at work would do that, was kinda fun seeing the mouse start moving itself, he would open a word document and we would type to eachother in a word doc.

i have never set up a logmein machine, so i cant give ya any tips or tricks, or what exactly its limitations may be, but yes, it will let you use your laptop to access the desktop and control it.

STF

Full Access Member
It's Inventor but it's a pretty older version (2010) So any of the newer $400or so laptops should be OK graphics wise.

kwo51

Full Access Member
Ya its freaky when some body in India gets on your mouse. Dumb question would a wireless key board and mouse with the TV for a monitor do the same.

Last edited:

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Maybe this could be done with the windows program, the logmein sort of features.
I think, with the desktop, You need to go in and specify what files, folders and programs can be axcessed from Your laptop, through Your home network.
Just a guess at that, I know I have certain files and folders I can axcess from My laptop that are on the upstairs desktop.

STF

Full Access Member
I'm gonna get this thing hooked up and try the go to my PC and see what it looks like off of my wifes laptop and my old ass ipad.

Maybe this week I'll get it done.

Sgt. Rock

Full Access Member
417768.jpg

STF

Full Access Member
Man, I struggled with flu like symptoms the first three days last week then Thanksgiving and now my daughters softball tourney. I might get to it this week sometime.

Members online

No members online now.