Why?

oppo

Full Access Member
Why do so many people make stupid and inexcusable choices in life? Yesterday, a kid who lived around the corner from us for years was arrested on multiple felonies. This WAS a good kid from a two parent home in a nice neighborhood and never did without anything he needed. He was at my home plenty of times. Hell, I taught the kid to play ball. Things changed during highschool and he and my kiddo did plenty of stupid things but not violent or felony stupid. He truly has nobody but himself to blame.

Last edited:

Dr_Pain

Full Access Member
They make bad decision because they CAN!

Kids nowadays are so sheltered from the meaning of honor, respect and responsibilities that they have no choice but to fall flat on their face in their self indulgent lifestyle. It seems that parents teach them responsibilities, not as an essential part of a family unit but as a mean of punishment when spanking no longer works.

Unfortunately our kids are raises to fly this flag :gayflag:

Jo6pak

Full Access Member
^^^Huh???
I know plenty of good "kids" that exemplify honor and respect.
The whole "Kids nowadays" argument has been flying around since before any of us were here. There are people that make wrong decisions, always have and always will.
Some parents do a better job than others, some kids with great parents turn out bad. Some kids with horrible parents turn out great. Same as it ever was, same as it ever was.... I'm sure young Adolf was a good kid too. And I'm pretty sure even the Pope was a little brat at times.

Sitting around griping about the "youth" as a whole is a weary tradition passed on thru generations. Reminiscent of the old codgers sitting on the porch grumbling "Damn kids." Really, it's quite boring and trite.

Too bad that oppo's neighbor kid has made some bad decisions, hopefully he will turn it around. But if he doesn't it's no reason to bash the entire generation.

Also, I'm not really sure where the homosexual reference comes in??

kwo51

Full Access Member
When there are no absolutes there is no moral obligation to follow. Just look at our country's leaders.

STF

Full Access Member
I do think a lot of kids are worse these days but in a different way. There are a lot of parents out there expecting the school system to raise their kids and I'm not sure about your kids schools but mine has a motto on field day and it goes like this "Everyone won because everyone had fun".

That's complete crap. There has to be winners and losers.

kwo51

Full Access Member
Home schooled all of ours. Public school is just day care if kids are not motivated. Unions and poor teachers are to blame.

ViperJeff

Administrator
I used to hate my Dad, when I screwed up,...... there was no such thing as a "Time Out"

I know why he taught me good lessons, and I'm happy he did...

Now days, it would be against the law

Full Access Member
I think also what comes into play is that parents try to be their kids best friends.No one wants to be the one to punish when needed in fear of being the bad guy,I say parents first then friends,Not the other way around.Discipline is needed to learn responsibility for your actions. JMHO

oppo

Full Access Member
I think also what comes into play is that parents try to be their kids best friends.No one wants to be the one to punish when needed in fear of being the bad guy,I say parents first then friends,Not the other way around.Discipline is needed to learn responsibility for your actions. JMHO

Absolutely and it only takes one parent to undermine the other and screw it up.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dr_Pain

Full Access Member
^^^Huh???
I know plenty of good "kids" that exemplify honor and respect.
The whole "Kids nowadays" argument has been flying around since before any of us were here. There are people that make wrong decisions, always have and always will.
Some parents do a better job than others, some kids with great parents turn out bad. Some kids with horrible parents turn out great. Same as it ever was, same as it ever was.... I'm sure young Adolf was a good kid too. And I'm pretty sure even the Pope was a little brat at times.

Sitting around griping about the "youth" as a whole is a weary tradition passed on thru generations. Reminiscent of the old codgers sitting on the porch grumbling "Damn kids." Really, it's quite boring and trite.

Too bad that oppo's neighbor kid has made some bad decisions, hopefully he will turn it around. But if he doesn't it's no reason to bash the entire generation.

Also, I'm not really sure where the homosexual reference comes in??

Were there bad kids and bad decision making process "back in the days", yup! Will we have the same argument in the future, yup!

The quality and morale compass of our kids generation is unfortunately reflecting the over-sheltering mentality of the generation prior, as well as the entitlement mentality and reliance on others "propaganda" they are being subjected to.

If we rewind 60 years a 7 year old was entrusted with a firearm with basic instructions and supervision from the parents. He would be working the field with the rest of the family and was given life impacting task around the farm/house, which needed to be accomplished before he went to school. Today a 12 year old need to go through a mind numbing safety training course (which he won't listen to) and may or may not be entrusted with a BB gun.

Now, it is "time outs" and hugging therapy, and no corporal punishment.... It seems that the societal shift makes it unfathomable to require a child to work with his dad all day (splitting and cording wood) on a Saturday because that poor child had a long week at school and had all those extra-curricular sports he participated it. He "deserves" to sleep in and spent 10 hrs a day on his iPod.... blah blah ......creating a bunch of anti-social brainless minions.

You can't tell me that we have the same number of kids that open doors for the elderly, or offer to carry the grocery bags of some overwhelmed lady, or just plain say good morning, or yes sir and yes mam! This is on a sharp decline (comparatively) and being replaced by a larger proportion of kids that talk back to their parents, that seem perfectly content "demanding" their fair share.

There is no absolutes in my rant, but the proportional shift is undeniable... and unfortunately in direct correlation to the moral decline of our society (which is happening because we need to empower the minority). Survival of the fittest.... heck no! Let's provide for all that can't provide for themselves and all the weak minded that would rather get the easy hand out rather than working for themselves.

Entitlement mentality = not honorable!!

:3639243774_5f528137

Last edited:

Silver-Bolt

Full Access Member
I think parents today are much worse. The raise their kids via video games and tv. Don't dicipline hard enough. Not the kids fault. They are a product of their environment.

kwo51

Full Access Member
Just watch the news !!!!! There is no hope, except God and he is dead,so they say.

Last edited:

Jo6pak

Full Access Member
^^^such a ray of sunshine isn't he:p

I don't know why some folks seem to enjoy dragging themselves into a downward spiral of fatalism. I am not an optimist, in fact those who know me would call me a skeptic or possibly even a pessimist. BUT, the sky is not falling. Yes, things are changing, but the end is not near.
I spent the day helping my brother with setting up for Memorial Day events for tomorrow. He is an assistant Boy Scout leader and all the kids were respectful of the true meaning of this 3 day weekend. They didn't complain about the rain and worked hard to get things ready at 3 different cemetaries.
How many older folks will never give a second thought to the true meaning of memorial day between the sales and drinking beer at the campground??

I always hear the phrase "In my day..." or "Those were the good old days..."

Just exactly when were the good ole days anyway.
Maybe it was the 90s? No, there was a democrat in the white house, so that couldn't be it.

The 80s? Not really, the "me generation, gang warfare in cities, rising federal debt.

Definitely not the 70s with stagnant economy, rampant inflation, and disco

Was it the 60s? Counterculture, hippies, Vietnam

It could have been the 50s.....unless you were one of the folks siting in the back of the bus, or accused as a communist.

Every era has seen it's problems, every generation has is misfits, every decade has it's political divisions. We just didn't have the interwebby, or 24 hour cable news to tell us every little hiccup that happens across the globe.

Relax a little.
An maybe instead of pissing and moaning, do something constructive.
Mentor a kid, take some time to listen to the other side, be a positive example to the next generation instead of bashing them every chance you get.

Last edited:

kwo51

Full Access Member
Yep that is what Hitler said to his people relax I'm here to help. When they come for your guns you will wounder what went wrong.

Members online

No members online now.