S&W SD9VE & SD40VE vs Glock G19 & G23

hotrodpc

Super Moderator
So I've heard about the lawsuit where Glock sued Smith & Wesson over the Sigma Series. It was an undisclosed settlement and S&W agreed to make changes to their model. Now the SD9VE and SD40VE are a generation or 2 on down from the original Sigma and it appears they also dropped the Sigma name off of it too.

Being a Glock fan, and wanting to aquire a few more handguns before any Map Cap limit hits, I decided I want to get another Full Frame Gen 4 Glock, and when I seen how cheap these SD9VE and SD40VE are, seen plenty reviews without complaints and noticed how much they do function similar to a Glock, I figured I'll end up getting one of each.

I got the SD9VE yesterday. Took the slide off and oh yeah, I can see why Glock took offense. And mind you, this is the changed model, so the original Sigma was even closer than this one was apparently. The pics don't really do all the justice as you can tell in person side by side, but they are very very simliar just by comparing the frames and by comparing the slides.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• SD9VevsG23 001b.jpg
    SD9VevsG23 001b.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 117
  • SD9VevsG23 004b.jpg
    SD9VevsG23 004b.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 114

hotrodpc

Super Moderator
Here are some pics of the frames and underside of the slides. We're comparing a SD9VE 9mm vs Glock 23 Midframe .40, but still the G23 is the same a G19 and The 9VE is the same as the 40VE.

548d1360317147-s-w-sd9ve-sd40ve-vs-glock-g19-g23-sd9vevsg23-008b.jpg

549d1360317165-s-w-sd9ve-sd40ve-vs-glock-g19-g23-sd9vevsg23-009b.jpg

550d1360317193-s-w-sd9ve-sd40ve-vs-glock-g19-g23-sd9vevsg23-011b.jpg

Attachments

• SD9VevsG23 008b.jpg
    SD9VevsG23 008b.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 114
  • SD9VevsG23 009b.jpg
    SD9VevsG23 009b.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 112
  • SD9VevsG23 011b.jpg
    SD9VevsG23 011b.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 107

hotrodpc

Super Moderator
I have not got to shoot my new S&W 9VE yet, but I pretty much have a good idea what to expect after playing with the trigger a bit. It's a fact, the S&W trigger ISN'T a Glock trigger. And maybe, it's just because it's not broke in, but just racking the slide and tapping a mag in, doesn't feel like Glock either. Just not quite as smooth and maybe has a tad bit of cheap feel to it in comparison. But, it's not bad at all. For now, the S&W sites are OK, but they are plastic with white painted dots, not metal and the dots are not recessed, but they are functional sites and doesn't take long at all to get a sight picture with them. I seen a video where a guy ordered M&P sights and swapped them out. Seemed the M&P sights were $21.

But, there are also a few small advantages of the S&W over the Glock too. I'll know more after I shoot it, but if it's as reliable to shoot as all of the reviews say it is, I just might Daily carry one of the S&W's. I'd never give up on my Glocks, but I have heard some stories of someone's daily carry getting stolen when they had to leave it in ther vehicle to go into a place where CCW was not allowed, and you know for a fact, if you do end up using your weapon to defend youself, you know you're going to have to give it up, at least long enough for an investigation to be conducted. I'd sure hate to give up one of my Glocks for any length of time.

hotrodpc

Super Moderator
They can make it look like a glock BUT it's still not a glock.

Oh hell NO. It's not a Glock. You can tell that just by working the slide and the trigger. I'll still never give up on my Glocks. There is certainly a noticeable difference in quality.

pclamb

Sometimes people are never satisfied. Got rid of my HiPoint and got a S&W 9ve and you people still complain . I guess the only good gun is the one YOU carry...

Concealed 27

Full Access Member
Ihad a first gen 9ve and it was a glock copy for sure...I do however like the new ones for the price and I think you made a wise decision picking those up....You can always sell them if your not happy....Concealed 27

hotrodpc

Super Moderator
Sometimes people are never satisfied. Got rid of my HiPoint and got a S&W 9ve and you people still complain . I guess the only good gun is the one YOU carry...

Whose complaining about 9ve? I'm loving mine. My Glock now gets locked up in the house when not in use and is still my carry gun. For the home protection hand piece, (12gu is the primary home protection) I have the 9ve out and accessible. It's hidden in the house but I can get to it in about 1.5 seconds. In the event the house catches fire or gets rummaged thru by a thief, I'll lose a $300 gun, not a $550 gun aka my baby. And I can say, I'd trust my life with the 9VE. I've not had any failures and it eats everything I feed it.

Kinda looks like that 9mm HiPoint I used to have...hahaha

HiPoint looks like a real close relative of Glock...lol

Now I know you're on crack. Either that, you must be a terrible shot, cuz you're vision is all kind of messed up. And I though I needed glasses. :insane:

Saying Hi Point LOOKS like a close relative of the Glock, is like saying a Chevy Pickup is real close relative to a Ford Pickup. :rofl:

kwo51

Full Access Member
That is why my kel-tec's ride on the bike with me. They were at one time called a throw down or throw away.Does S&W have life time repairs on the sigmas?

hotrodpc

Super Moderator
They have what they refer to as a, Made in USA Lifetime Service Policy. Not sure what all that entails. I think they dropped the "Sigma" off the name of the new models. The SD's were Sigmas, I don't think they call the SW's Sigma.

Ok your correct this in no glock but the SD40 VE is deff " in the glock family for sure". There are way to many glock jocks out there today on there computers like keyboard gangsters and they never even owned a glock or any firearm for that matter...They play airsoft and think there on law and order lol... My take on the smith sd40ve: Its a dam good gun.. Ive owned a dozen glocks and i do love them..glocks are the aks of handguns in my oppinion..ive seen glocks fail on the firing line plenty of times though..if i had to bet why id say 90 percent of the time had to do with a combo of bad rounds/primers/limp wrist/ and when people decide to upgrade to aftermarket parts they fail to do something they should have and results in a incident. The SD40ve was designed to take out the glock 19 with a 200 plus savings and smith & wesson did just that. As you can see above the design is more of a slap on the face to glock by a serious patent violation..Smith & wesson already pays glock 8 bucks for every one sold since the sigma law suit so they figured why stop now. im willing to bet anything the SD9 VE and the SD40 VE will outshine the glock by being the diamond in the ruff.. Its a dam fine looking gun for one and if i had an option to use it on every day patrol in police work to just to stick it to glock jock cops i would. Also after shooting a few thousand rounds with zero issues id be willing to say id feel safe knowing it would protect my life 8 hours a day!

Smith & wesson is not show casing the SD9 VE and SD40 VE as a police patrol pistol because they want to focus on there 300 billion dollars invested in there M&P model made for just that! Ive had alot of partners in the past that had the option to sling any 9mm as long as it was made by glock or smith & wesson as per the police dept rules and regs. and they chose the Sigma.. At the time in like 96 97 the Sigma was fairly new and looked kind of cool to alot of cops. I thought it was cool as well.. Ive never heard them complain about there Sigma or saw any jams on the qual line. I always liked that baby sigma 380 but never saw any local shops selling one.. Please Make NO MISTAKE the new SD series are not the new sigmas like some say!!! Its in a class of its own. If your into shooting/ccw/police/security or anything the gun will make you happy for a lifetime.. GLOCK JOCKS BEWARWE: the SD9VE SD40VE will make you look bad in person!!

hotrodpc

Super Moderator
For the price point I think the SD9VE and SD40VE are great, but make no mistake, there no M&P either. I'd be happy with either one and see the value in both price points. You get what you pay for. I have a 9Ve just to have a cheap shooter but I'll be buying an M&P in .40 also. But I'll still love my Glocks too. I've recommended the SD9VE and SD40VE to a few new Permit Carriers not wanting to spend alot on a gun just yet.

hotrodpc

Super Moderator
I just had problems with my 9ve trigger.....Bought another glock after I sold it...Concealed27

You can work that trigger over and make it alot better. It still won't be a top quality trigger, but it can be made to be much better than right out of the box for very little expense and time to make a very tolerable reliable shooter.

Concealed 27

Full Access Member
my high point sits way in the back of the safe in a corner. Like a very ugly child you would rather others don't see.

I had a high point 45 that I got rid of, they are just to dam big to carry and I do classify it as a throw away gun....it is an ugly beast for sure.
Concealed 27

aaronisx

I recently picked up a sd9ve on the black Friday sale at academy. Ergos to me are better than a glock. Weight goes to Glock but the sd9ve is not a tank in weight either. I hate the default sights on both but very serviceable on both. Glock is slightly better for ccw. Glock trigger is better then default trigger on the sd9ve. Once you do an apex trigger spring job the sd9ve is great. The Apex trigger makes it obscenely nice to me. Both and extremely reliable. Don't let anyone tell you different. Looks are nicer on a glock imo. Both are very accurate but the sd9ve needs The trigger job done even an experienced shooter might start jerking the trigger. My friend was hitting dimes with The standard trigger though. All in all, Smith has a huge winner in my book.

Members online

No members online now.