Opinions wanted on new pistol to buy

Looking to buy a new pistols for a everything gun ( hunting and protection) I am a big fan the .40 cal round. i have had a couple of xd and xdm's and loved them but I'm a big fan of the external hammer pistols. Wanting to stay under the $1000 mark. Been looking at the 1911's but not a huge fan of the weight. To be able to carry hunting the barrel needs to be 4" or longer. Has anyone had any dealings with the H&k usp 40 or the FNH FNX-40? Any other options or opinions would be much appreciated.

TheFuzz

Full Access Member
I'm a 45 fan myself. The FNP45 is a sweet piece. I'm admittedly a fan of my 4.5" M&P though. Apex hard sear and spring kit made it a totally different gun. If you have a $1K budget though, why not look into a Sig P226? I've owned two of them and they were fantastic...only sold them because of caliber restrictions where I work. Lots and lots of options/configurations, huge aftermarket support, and they are stone reliable.

Oh, and 4.4" barrel. :)

Only reason I am thinking about the H&K or the FNH I because of there lighter weight while still having the external hammer. I like the sigs just not a big fan of the weight. I was just curious if either would be a better option then a xdm? I had a xdm 3.8 and a xd 4.25 and both were awesome guns just thought about trying something different

Russ D

I have both the FN and the HK. The FN is a great gun, but the HK is my favorite of the two. It is a little more accurate and I prefer the controls. The HK will also eat any kind of ammo I can find were the FN can be a little more picky.

armoredman

Full Access Member
Another brand new option would be this,

CZ-USA -> P-09 Duty

Barrel 4.53 inch, mag capacity in .40S&W is 16, hammer fired, poly frame, can be switched from decocker to standard safety by the user, parts supplied, MSRP $528. ;)

hotrodpc

Super Moderator
He stays pretty busy and doesn't drop in the forums very often. I figured he had gotten something by now and wanted to know what he got. He'll be back.

hotrodpc

Super Moderator
Nawww... He's married with children, works full time and I believe goes to school too, along with his truck building hobby. He stays very busy. He doesn't come into our forum very much anymore. But I am curious what he decided to get.

oppo

Full Access Member
What do you plan on hunting and will this be a home defense gun or will you carry it? Also, you will have a tough time finding an appropriate hunting gun much lighter than a 1911. For an auto, I would go with a 10mm or possibly a 45 super or 460 Rowland. In a revolver, 357 magnum or larger. Of course this all depends on what, exactly, you plan to use it for.

Silver-Bolt

Full Access Member
For hunting in a semiauto, Glock G20 10mm. If you must have a .40 check out the SIG P226. Try the FN before you buy. It did not fit my hand/grip at all. Supposed to be a great weapon but it doesn't work for me at all. HK's are a great weapon but again try before you buy.

Concealed 27

Full Access Member
Agreed with the try it b4 u buy it. I love the h&k but it was a little to big for my hands, so I did not get one a few years ago. Now the Sig P226 fit me great and but I just didn't pick one up.
Concealed 27

Members online

No members online now.