HotRodPC is in the house.

hotrodpc

Super Moderator
Nice Place !!!

Been a CCL carrier since 96 in OK. Not sure I'm so thrilled about it, but Effective November 1st of this year, we will be an open carry state of those who are CCL.

I have several ACPs, 1 Revolver, a few Shotguns, a couple LEGAL imported assault rifles, at least 2 hunting rifles, and several 10/22's. I guess that makes me an enthusiast of firearms.

Last edited:

TheFuzz

Full Access Member
Welcome! Not sure I'm a fan of open carry either...but if you're doing it legally, then whatever floats your boat I guess.

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
I've heard that open carry turns you into a target. If someone has bad intentions, they'll eliminate the biggest threat first which is the guy open carrying. Not gospel, just something I heard.

Shaggy

Administrator
Staff member
Why do you guys have an issues with open carry? Scared they may us it more because its not concealed? :D

hotrodpc

Super Moderator
My issue with open carry is, It's a fact that not everyone carries a gun, and for those who are not confident with a gun, or afraid of guns, should not be carrying at all. Just because they choose to do the right thing and not carry due to their lack of confidence or fear doesn't mean that they shouldn't get any protection from the law that allows us to carry. With conceal carry, the crooks don't know who is and who is not carrying. If we open carry, then the thugs know who the easy targets are. I'd rather keep the thugs guessing. It's offers more protection to those who don't carry.

And, also as said, with open carry, I think there might be the possibility of you being a target. If they want to rob you and see you are carrying, they've got you by element of surprise before you can react instead of vice versa. They're not going to give you the chance to give up your wallet without harm. They're going to put a bullet in the back of your head and take your wallet and your weapon. We can only hope, they see someone armed and just move onto to an easier target. A bit like what alarm yard signs do for a house.

TheFuzz

Full Access Member
Very well said, hotrod. For those that want to open carry, ask yourself this:

Can you outdraw a trigger squeeze?

Because that is what you have coming to you if you get targeted by a bad guy who sees your gun. They will simply wait to catch you unaware. I don't know how many of you have dealt with drug users who are in desperate need of money to get a fix, but I've seen them do horrible stuff for $10 worth of meth. Strolling around with a gun on your hip is fine and dandy if you want to do it where legal, but I'll tell you what...that dope smoking shithead isn't going to mug you to get whatever is in your wallet - he's going to kill you, take your wallet, and take your gun, thereby multiplying his score by about tenfold. Guns are worth their weight in gold to a junkie. And don't be fooled, they are everywhere. It doesn't matter where you live.

That is an extreme example of course, but the fact remains that you make yourself a target unless you want to walk around in condition yellow/orange ALL the time. If you aren't familiar with the color codes of awareness, go look them up and try to see how long you can last walking around in condition yellow/orange. It's very mentally taxing for the unprepared, but that's how you have to be if you want to openly carry a gun all day. I'm not saying don't do it, I'm just saying you better be prepared for the enormous responsibility that comes along with it.

Last edited:

Arckadian

I look at it from the stand point of my work.... If you have a bus driver that is open carrying a weapon an a dangerous individual sees it.... What is to stop him from being able take it from you while you are busy driving the bus and using it?

TheFuzz

Full Access Member
Excellent point, Arc.

As another anecdote, while in the academy I would screw with the members of my squad who were tired and/or goofing off and not paying attention. I would walk up behind them, stand there...and if they didn't notice me I would reach down, unsnap their holster, and take their gun from them from behind in less than a second. When we weren't at the range we carried replicas in the holsters to simulate the weight without being dangerous, so there weren't any overt safety issues from me doing that - but it drove the point home pretty fast that while you're carrying, even in uniform, it's easy to disarm someone if you know what you're doing. And believe me, most seasoned bad guys know what they are doing. Hell, the more organized street gangs actually buy duty belts and holsters from online retailers JUST so they can practice how to disarm cops that aren't on top of their game.

Food for thought guys. I'm all for the second amendment and believe that every citizen of this country in good standing has the right to defend themselves...but it's not to be taken lightly.

Arckadian

Conceal Carry is a much wiser option as I see it for the reasons that I and TheFuzz listed.... If its concealed and unnoticable less chance of being disarmed and you still have the element of surprize if a dangerous situation comes up. At the point then it will fall to the weilder to decide if the weapon is required in that situation or if calling the police would be the more correct path to take.

hotrodpc

Super Moderator
Excellent point, Arc.

Food for thought guys. I'm all for the second amendment and believe that every citizen of this country in good standing has the right to defend themselves...but it's not to be taken lightly.

Exactly right Fuzz !!! I've been called a hipocritt by many and so what. I've got a gun vault over full of guns, Rifles, Shotguns, Assualt Rifles, Rimfires, Revolver's and ACP's. No Black Powder though.. YET.

And I'm sure it'll be an unpopular stand here too, but I've never been one to keep most of my opinions to myself. I'm not a member of the NRA, and I'm not a fan of the NRA. I think they are finatics and go overboard with pro gun and anti gun control and put alot of fear into gun owners which in turns also raises prices on Firearms and Ammo.

hotrodpc

Super Moderator
Conceal Carry is a much wiser option as I see it for the reasons that I and TheFuzz listed.... If its concealed and unnoticable less chance of being disarmed and you still have the element of surprize if a dangerous situation comes up. At the point then it will fall to the weilder to decide if the weapon is required in that situation or if calling the police would be the more correct path to take.

I agree totally. And also gives those who are wise enough to know they have no business carrying a bit of protection too because the thugs don't know who is and who is not carrying. My mother is scared shitless of firearms. When she was very young a very close friend of the family about her age at the time, had an accidental discharge of his dad's gun and killed hisself. Growing up, we weren't even allowed to have toy guys or play Cowboys and Indians. I do not want my mother carrying a gun. She'd end up dead for certain if she pulled it out to use it. As long as everyone is concealed, the thug can just wonder if or if not she is carrying. I just think open carry is going to take away the element of surprise on all accounts in all situations and that in itself is/was the biggest crime deterant of all. Now the thugs will once again know who the easy targets are, and will also know how to approach an armed target and get him off-guard.

The only thing I line about the open carry, is that if I'm carrying my pistol concealed and if for some reason when I bend over it shows I will still be legal. Right now if it gets exposed for any reason than you are no longer concealing it and you are breaking the law. I don't think I will ever carry open unless I just go for a walk around the house ( I live in the middle of Nowhere on a dirt road) I agree with the target issue. If something is gona go down they are going to eliminate the biggest threat first and that will be the guy with a pistol on his or her side.

Members online

No members online now.