Cracked magazine, malfunction or normal wear?

Max

Full Access Member
Hello everyone

First off, if this is the wrong part of the forum, just tell me where this belongs.F

My airsoft-USP (which I of course know is as far from real firearms as it gets) runs on magazines which are made by the same standards the magazines for the real USP are made by.
Now, after about fifteen months one of the magazines shows a crack at the very top, which I blame for continuous failures to feed.
Both magazines are identical, and have gone through the same treatment, among other things I:
-Fired about 600 rounds out of each one
-Dry-fired sixty times (only gas but no bullet)
-Loaded and ejected them 70x (without shooting)
-Dropped on granite 20x from shoulder-level (shooting stance), 8x from knee-height
-Dropped onto grass/compressed soil 40x from shoulder-level and 10x from knee-height
-Dumped into tap water 10x and dirty/muddy water 10x (submerged long enough to flood them)

Now, while both magazines show light wear (scratches, "roughed up" plastic at the base), one of them works fine while the other one cracked, and only feeds 2-3 rounds before jamming, even if it has just been cleaned and "refueled".
I swapped springs and feeder (?) back and forth, they work fine in the other mag.

My question, after all, is if it is normal for a magazine to crack after that life, or if I have a chance of getting it replaced from the store (as it's still within warranty)?

http://www.imfdb.org/images/1/12/Broken_Mag.JPG

Thanks in advance,

Max

Concealed 27

Full Access Member
To me that is not normal wear due to the fact that they are the same.....if they both did it normal wear is the cause. I would take it back and request a new one, can't hurt anything except fuel...btw what is fuel going for is us dollars were you're at. In Tampa Florida it's as low as $1.75 a gallon. Just wondered what cost of fuel is overseas. Thanks max and I hope I helped you out.....
Concealed 27

Max

Full Access Member
Guess you're right, it's best if I send it back.
Just hoped to save the fee.

Fuel in Germany is measured by the litre (about a third of a gallon), and it goes for 1,70 Euros/Liter fuel (you'll have to ask the internet how much $ that is).

Jo6pak

Full Access Member
Magazine durability has a lot of variables. Sometimes the dropped mags land on the feed lips, or hit something sharp.

I agree that trying to get a replacement is the best plan, but wouldn't be surprised if you get rejected. Doesn't hurt to try though

Max

Full Access Member
I was just a little surprised, because (as far as I know) H&K is famous for making tough firearms, and the magazine is advertised as being made to live-fire standards.

Rusty Shackleford

Full Access Member
I don't think it is a accurate representation of H&K quality to compare something they don't even make to the real thing. An H&K licensed 22.lr MP5 clone (a real firearm) is nothing like a real H&K MP5 as far as build quality or even materials it is made from for example.

Bluez

Full Access Member
Guess you're right, it's best if I send it back.
Just hoped to save the fee.

Fuel in Germany is measured by the litre (about a third of a gallon), and it goes for 1,70 Euros/Liter fuel (you'll have to ask the internet how much $ that is).

It's about 7 and a half dollars per gallon .. Give or take.

Max

Full Access Member
Well, I won't need fuel (no license yet, and I'm just gonna send it back to austria), but shipping is going to be around 10 bucks.
And that does hurt my budget.

Max

Silver-Bolt

Full Access Member
Did HK produce the airsoft mags? How do you know they are "exactly" like the real mag? I am willing to be that not only did HK not make them they are made from an entirely different polymer. Trying to compare the two is ridiculous. That is like comparing a toy Hot Wheels car to a real F1 race car.

Members online

No members online now.