Are Preppers Crazy? Is prepping an overreaction?

hotrodpc

Super Moderator
Being in OK, and being 2 miles from and seeing the F5+ tornado on May 3rd, 99 that had the highest wind speed recorded on earth that day, and then seeing the 1/3 of my city wiped out, and 3/4 of the city without power for days, and being without power for 2 weeks due to ice storms, I do try to stay prepped for natural disasters if nothing else. It's not hard to do for that reason.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkdvc-Oznj0[/ame]

Maxx2893

Full Access Member
They're only "crazy" if nothing happens. The second something happens, is when you realize you shoulda been taking notes from there.

Bootstrap

Full Access Member
Being in OK, and being 2 miles from and seeing the F5+ tornado on May 3rd, 99 that had the highest wind speed recorded on earth that day, and then seeing the 1/3 of my city wiped out, and 3/4 of the city without power for days, and being without power for 2 weeks due to ice storms, I do try to stay prepped for natural disasters if nothing else. It's not hard to do for that reason.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkdvc-Oznj0

May 3rd still sends shivers down my spine...

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX HD

hotrodpc

Super Moderator
They're only "crazy" if nothing happens. The second something happens, is when you realize you shoulda been taking notes from there.

You're right. I'd like to think I am prepared to a certain degree for some things that might happen, but I don't go as far as having underground bunkers or bricks of gold buried in my backyard. :rofl: So I guess I just might be Fuct if something bad goes down.

hotrodpc

Super Moderator
May 3rd still sends shivers down my spine...

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX HD

Sure does. I'll never forget it. The closest I got to the thing was 1.5 miles. I watched from my roof top for many miles and ready to jump off to take cover. Luckily I watched it go 1.5 miles NorthEast of me. Very Very wicked even on the outside of it. It was huge. The sound was unreal even that far away. The roar and then you could hear all the clanging, banging, clattering and wood splintering as it was tossing large items out of it that it has picked up.

KKing

Full Access Member
To some magnitude, absolutely. I think that like everything else, a little bit of reason goes a long way. If you live in an area that's prone to tornados, prepare for that.
Now for those people that live close to nuclear facilities...well, what the heck are they thinking? :jester:

Last edited:

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
Being prepared is not crazy. Having a backup supply of necessities is being smart. Whenever there is a disaster, whatever it is. What's the first thing that empties out? The grocery store. We get a forecast of snow and the milk, bread and eggs isles are empty. So being prepared is being self sufficient and not having to wait for help to arrive. You never know how long it will take to get food back on the store shelves or when the big green trucks come rolling through.

Now to what level you take it is your own business. If you want an underground bunker then more power to you. Going on TV and telling everyone about it is crazy.

Members online

No members online now.