1911 Original model

Arckadian

Has anyone actually fired one of the original model 1911 that use the Long Colt rounds? If I remember correctly Colt made the first 1911 model and the round it used was a much larger .45 round than that of an ACP. I have never actually seen one of these hand guns so I am extremely curious about them. Since I am asking a question alreaady I will ask one more.... How hard is it to get the Long Colt rounds? I havent really been looking for them, but I have noticed that I have not seen any yet.

TheFuzz

Full Access Member
I'm pretty sure that the 1911 was never chambered in .45 Colt....the cartridge is ~.400 longer than a .45ACP. The entire frame would have to be elongated to accomodate the increased case length.

Plus .45 Colt is a rimmed cartridge designed to be used in revolvers and leverguns. Getting it to work in a semi-auto would be a challenge.

tacticold

Full Access Member
I had a .45 rifle for a while. Pretty fun lever-actions. It's not hard to find the ammo for them, but I also don't think the 1911 was ever chambered in this round. It is a substantially larger round and just wouldn't work in a pistol grip due to its length I don't think.

45Comparison.jpg

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.