What to do with a Noveske rail?

The War Wagon

Full Access Member
Build a rifle around it, of course!!! :chewie:

Interesting project I came up with a few years ago, when I bought a Noveske rail off a buddy of mine locally. He was restoring a Corvette, and scrounging for cash. :naughty:

100_7589.jpg

Shortly thereafter, I got the lower in trade from the owner/propieter of STS Arms/Tactical Toolbox out in OR - and he offered to cerakote it in any color I liked. Since all my AR's are - and have always been - black, I figured - 'What they hey! No better time than the present to try something new!'

I always figured, if I was going to get an AR in a different color, FDE would be the safe route, so that's what we did.

100_7621.jpg

100_7619.jpg

Since I was on the way to a build now, I did snag the DSA A3 upper off someone at a local site, so I sent that to him as well. He installed one of his barrels for me - a custom-turned 1: 8 twist melonited 14.5" barrel cerakoted to match. The PWS 556 brake is pinned/welded to it. M4 feedcuts & DD low profile gas block round out the upper goodies. Here's what it looked like when done!

100_8259.jpg

100_8266.jpg

Because I didn't want the finish marred by my own hacking away at it, I stopped by Kevin Johnson's place (JTR - Johnson's Tactical Rifles - he actually did custom work for the Pittsburgh PD, SWAT Team, and some federal agencies here in western PA!) in Monroeville - when he was still there, ca. July '11 - with a pile of parts, and he kindly put my lower together in expert fashion for me!

lower-1.jpg

MOE grip, mil-spec tube, and we're cookin' with gas! :favorites37:

Other pieces for the build included...

ACS.jpg

G2Nitro.jpg

Not that I'll be buying anything from them ever AGAIN, since they've turned FAAAAABBBBBBBB-U-OUS... :lewx4: :gayflag: BUT... I got this G2 LED Nitrolon from the Boy Scout Office in Pittsburgh, for $39 - new!

Pile o' miscellany!

pileoparts.jpg

And now the lower is COMPLETE!

fulllower.jpg

PSA f/a carrier (was on sale for $109 at the time, so I couldn't pass it up - most of my rifles run BCM f/a carriers)

100_7836.jpg

Optical goodies - ADM absolute co-witness mount

ADM.jpg

100_8140.jpg

And ye olde Comp M2 I had laying around...

A while back, I inadvertently ordered an EXTRA set of black sling QD connectors with ANOTHER sling for a different rifle, so I've just had these laying around ever since. Since I knew this was going to be 'black & tan' effect with this rifle, I decided to use them WITH Gear Sector's Coyote Tan sling (not an exact match with Magpul FDE, but... meh - it'll do), to complement the look!

sling.jpg

A few more accoutrements (VTAC light mount, AVG, Troy folding battle sights, etc.), and - VOILA! FDE rifle on a black chair!

100_8297.jpg

100_8301.jpg

100_8305.jpg

It's been to the range a few times now, and runs flawlessly on PMC Bronze and various M193 offerings (ALL brass-cased, ALL the time, of course!). Here's a closeup of the brass deflector after the first 300 rounds through it.

100_8406.jpg

It does have a tiny chip there at the base, as you can see, but the finish cleans up easily. This is what it looks like, after I swiped my thumb across it.

100_8408.jpg

ta da. :cool:

It's probably my favorite shooter, when I'm not plinking away with dedicated .22 AR. Like most of my rifles, it's probably more accurate than the shooter :rolleyes: , but it's GTG - regardless the conditions!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts