What model of AR-15 do you have/want?

Arckadian

As the title states, what model of AR-15 do you have/want? Until I started my other AR-15 threads I was completely unaware that the AR platform had soooooooo many variations. I am opening this thread up so I can see what people have or want and that may help give me a better idea of what I will get eventually :).

Also I am still a little foggy about something.... What is a piston type AR? I am only familiar with the M16 which I think is a gas setup...

Rusty Shackleford

Full Access Member
The debate between Direct Impingement and Piston Systems is something people on both sides get far to strung out about.

Here's an article that explains. http://www.americanrifleman.org/m-articlepage.aspx?id=2297&cid=4

I currently have a piston AR and have built and owned DI guns in the past.

This is a Ruger SR-556 that I have went full retard on with the tacticool stuff. Shoots great and is nothing but reliable but it is a bit heavy.

d567f947.jpg

I built this one from a stripped lower, very light DI gun that was a lot of fun. But it was redundant In my collection so I sold it.

a6160119.jpg

There are also a lot of guns out there that are based on the AR in order to take advantage of the abundant supply of aftermarket parts.

My JRC 9mm carbine is a good example, uses AR trigger components, buffer tubes, furniture, rails etc.

a5019cb98baddf7ea72642a04414e0c2.jpg

And if you love your AR but can't afford to shoot 5.56 there are tons of .22lr options, everything from conversions kits for your existing AR, complete dedicated .22 uppers for your spare AR lower and complete .22 only rifles like my S&W M&P 15-22.

06e0d08adba1503f4721b7025e19932f.jpg

The AR world is a lot of fun, and freaking huge.....have fun trying to decided what you want.

RangerDanger

Full Access Member
Rusty, how do you like the S&W 15-22? I've been wanting to get a .22lr and it was a toss up between that and the sig 522. I've read reviews on both and liked what I read about the sig.

I'm currently doing my first AR build so no experience with them since I left the army in 98. This build will be a SBR in 300 blackout and will most likely get suppressed later. As of now I have all my lower parts ordered and I'm still waiting for a few to show up. The lower consist of mostly spikes tactical and magpul components. The only part of the upper that's been ordered is a 10.5" shilen barrel. I've already put quite a bit of money into and still have a ways to go. Hopefully it performs really well.

Rusty Shackleford

Full Access Member
Rusty, how do you like the S&W 15-22? I've been wanting to get a .22lr and it was a toss up between that and the sig 522. I've read reviews on both and liked what I read about the sig.

Can't go wrong either way, I really like my M&P and would buy another again.

The biggest advantage for the M&P is the ability to use AR triggers and furniture, I would really like to get a 50 round drum and a slide-fire stock for it.

GLOCK V

Full Access Member

The biggest advantage for the M&P is the ability to use AR triggers and furniture, I would really like to get a 50 round drum and a slide-fire stock for it.

I got a snail 50rd drum for under a hundred at cdnn.com

achirdo

i doubt the slide fire would work with a .22lr because their wouldnt be enough recoil to operate it

oppo

Full Access Member
I just ordered a lower to start on my first. I still need to figure a few things out and will likely change my mind some along the way. So far, I have a stripped lower on it's way from SA&A. I plan on adding a Magpul CTR stock, Geissele super semi-automatic enhanced trigger, Hogue pistol grip, and DPMS parts kit since I found it without the trigger and grip. Once I finish the lower, I will start on the upper. Unless I come up with a reason not to, I will probably get the matching upper reciever. I am not a big fan of rails so I will probably go with a plain round fore end like one from Hogue. I have still have a lot of homework to do and part of that is is bolt carrier groups. For the barrel, I will go with a 20" heavy, not bull, barrel. I am thinking one of Shilen's barrels.

I don't want this rifle to be too heavy but I do want it to be extremely accurate and am open to suggestions.

Last edited:
Rock River Elite Operator

picture.php

I've ditched the tactical carry handle now and went with a different set of rings for the Strikefire and absolute cowitness with an MBUS. I just reconfigured it this afternoon, as a matter of fact. I've also got a base with a 3x9x40 mounted for swapping out to long range shooting.

This rifle was unbelievably accurate out of the box.

Rusty Shackleford

Full Access Member
so $300 for a slide fire, $200 for a better trigger...

$519 for a brand new 15-22.

but in all honesty i hear the slide fire is hard to operate in the first place and im sure its that much harder with 5% of the recoil

Never said it would be cheap, but from what I have found the M&P works great with the slidefire. If it doesn't I'll sell the stock and call it a lesson learned.

If it does work I'll be having lots of cheap .22 fun.

achirdo

Never said it would be cheap, but from what I have found the M&P works great with the slidefire. If it doesn't I'll sell the stock and call it a lesson learned.

If it does work I'll be having lots of cheap .22 fun.
true dat:biggun:

hella lot cheaper than 5.56
:thumbsup:

Bullnettles

Full Access Member
I build my own from stripped lowers. Can't tell you how much it has cost me since I got the tools to build uppers... I have a distance 6.8, building a 5.56 for fun/shtf/hog gun, and will be building a 10" sbr in 300 blk. After that, I hope to be done with building these.

SHWELL

Newest AR is an OLY K16 SST, build up in progress.

I'll try to post a better pic later
IMG_20121012_170338.jpg

I am also working on a Spikes Tactical build.. Trying to support a local company.. That is slow process.

Last edited:

tenfo

Mega! This is my patrol rifle. I just got my SBR stamp back for it. I'll probably throw a 10.3" DD barrel. I also have an 8.5" 300BLK upper for it. Should have my suppressor later this month.

2wm2pz9.jpg

racedad70

Ordered the Colt LE6920MP-R. Should be here today according to the tracking number. My FFL holder lives about a block from me.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts