Vortex Viper PST

Silver-Bolt

Full Access Member
I just ordered a Vortex Viper PST 2.5-10 with MOA Ret & and LaRue mount. This will sit on top of my SIG716. Range report to follow once I get it in my hands.

Bullnettles

Full Access Member
Did you get the QD Larue, and if so, how much and where from. My local hookup can't get an answer out of them.

Silver-Bolt

Full Access Member
Scope I ordered from Optics Planet via Amazon. The mount is coming directly from LaRue. Waiting on a called back from LaRue on which mount. The site reccommends the LT158 with 15 MOA built in for the 7.62 rifles. Since my max range is only 600 yards I want to confirm that I really need 15 MOA in the mount.

Bullnettles

Full Access Member
Never done any distance shooting, and 500 will be about at the most I'll shoot for a long time, if ever. Zero MOA is good for that? I need to do some researching...

Txhillbilly

Full Access Member
Bull,
You are correct. Zero MOA is the correct choice for shooting from 0-800 meters.

That will entirely depend on the adjustment range of a given scope,and the ballistics of the caliber/round being shot.

Most hunting style or cheaper scopes don't have anywhere near the adjustment range to shoot past 500-600 yards.
Most have around 40-50 inches of adjustment Total. If you have the crosshairs set dead center on your rifle,that will only give you 20-25 inches of adjustment.
The higher the scope sets above the centerline of the bore,you will loose even more elevation adjustment ability in your scope.

All of my Long Range scopes have 100 inches of adjustment,and I use a 20moa mount on all of them as well.

Bullnettles

Full Access Member
Yup, definitely going to have to do some reading. Won't be buying a scope for a while though since I have a Millet on it right now. Grab a 30mm mount after some research, then put down some coin for better glass.

Silver-Bolt

Full Access Member
That will entirely depend on the adjustment range of a given scope,and the ballistics of the caliber/round being shot.

Most hunting style or cheaper scopes don't have anywhere near the adjustment range to shoot past 500-600 yards.
Most have around 40-50 inches of adjustment Total. If you have the crosshairs set dead center on your rifle,that will only give you 20-25 inches of adjustment.
The higher the scope sets above the centerline of the bore,you will loose even more elevation adjustment ability in your scope.

All of my Long Range scopes have 100 inches of adjustment,and I use a 20moa mount on all of them as well.

Tx is spot on here. I should have clarified that I gave LaRue my rifle specs, scope info, and max distance I would be shooting.

Silver-Bolt

Full Access Member
Scope came in yesterday. Initial impression is very good. Waiting on the mount then pics and range report to follow.

Members online

No members online now.