Tired of being fat

oppo

Full Access Member
...so I quit making excuses.

Being a football player and powerlifter in high school, I always had a big appetite. Actually, that is an understatement. I used to eat absolutely ridiculous amounts of food but with a young metabolism and a ton of exercise, I could get away with it. Back then, I was a solid 225. After school, the weight started creeping up until I looked in the mirror and didn't recognize myself. I honestly don't know what I weighed at that point. By the time I stepped on a scale, I was down to 285 pounds so I cleaned up my eating habits and hit the gym. 3 months later, I was 210 pounds with a 32" waist. Once I relaxed the gym workout and eating habits but still much better than before, I settled back to about 225 pounds and stayed there for several years. Later, after my wife and I got together and family responsibilities took over, eating a healthy dinner early and playing softball was replaced by working late and grabbing whatever crap was convenient. The weight started coming back. Later, I started playing ball again which helped keep things in check a little but then 2 things happened that triggered lots of weight gain. First, got a bad case of plantar phasciitis which basically ended my playing ball and made just walking a struggle at times. That is when the weight really started coming back. Next, I ended up working out of town and spent most of my time living in "man camp" where much of the food was provided by the company which means dinner wasn't chosen based on being healthy. Once again, I was afraid to go near a scale. When I finally did, it said 328 pounds. That hurt to see. Then, a couple months ago, some of the young guys were talking about the gym they had been going to and I decided it was time to quit making excuses and being miserable and do something about it so I joined the gym and cleaned up my eating habits. In just over 2 months, my strength and overall fitness has improved greatly and I am at 266 pounds and dropping steadily. I am strict about what I eat but I eat foods I enjoy and don't starve myself. In fact, it is funny when someone who has seen how much weight I have lost sees my plate.

The real secret to losing weight is there is no secret. Eat right and burn more calories than you eat. Don't listen to all this low fat BS. Low fat just means high in refined carbs which is the same as eating sugar. Instead, eat lean meats, fruits, vegetables, and keep the carbs in check. Basically, exactly the type of diet the human body intended to function on.

There are also a lot of little things we can do to reduce calories. The amount of calories we add from butter and oil alone is truly astounding. Oils are 120-130 calories per tablespoon. A pound of mushrooms, which cooks great in water, is about 100 calories. It doesn't need 500 calories of oil added to it. One thing I can't stress enough is to read labels. If you are eating out, check the calories of the menu items. What you find might shock you and it will definitely help you make better choices. Also, this is the HARD part, we need to try and view food as fuel rather than recreation. That doesn't mean we can't eat yummy foods but it does mean that we will look at them differently and make smarter choices. You wouldn't put bad gas or oil in your truck so why put crap in your body?

I still have a long way to go but I am tired of making excuses and not liking what I see in the mirror. I will get there and hopefully encourage some others along the way.

Full Access Member
I also recently started walking at least 3 miles every day and working out 4 or 5 days a week, i have gone from 220 lbs to 185 and am seeing some good tone coming back. I feel so much better, by the way i am 5'10" and 69 years old. Thanks for posting your story, there are a lot of us out here trying to get it back, hang in there brother.

oppo

Full Access Member
Good for you and I wish I had your discipline

If I really had discipline, I never would have gained all that weight in the first place. Honestly, the hardest part was just deciding to do something about it. We don't gain weight overnight. We gain it a little at a time over years. Just a few little things can make a big difference over time. Grilled chicken instead fried chicken, almond or cashew milk instead of cow's milk, cutting back on butter and oils, using salsa instead of mountains of cheese, turkey bacon instead of pork, even chosen a sirloin over a ribeye. Once you start reading labels and doing a little research, you find it easy to cut out lots of unnecessary calories.

Powdered peanut butter awesome and MUCH lower in calories than regular peanut butter. It is great for mixing into things, including protein shakes. Chocolate whey + powdered peanut butter + cashew milk = drinkable Reese's.

I recently discovered coconut flour. Whey protein is nothing new but I am finding more ways to use it. This morning I had pancakes made from whey protein and coconut flour, topped with powdered peanut butter (mixed up with a little cashew milk to a typical peanut butter consistency) and sugar free syrup. It was actually good, lower in calories than typical pancakes, much better macros, and they really keep you full. Even my wife likes them and she is picky. I have also pre portioned fresh fruits for her. She dumps those, a scoop of whey, and little almond milk in the blender for a quick, easy, nutritious, and yummy breakfast smoothie. I typically have some sort of lean meat and egg whites with mushrooms and/or salsa. For yesterday's lunch, I had chicken breast and swiss with dijon mustard with portobello mushrooms for a bun. For dinner, it was bbq chicken, turkey bacon, and pineapple kabobs. For lunch today, I was still pretty full from breakfast so I had some coffee flavored greek yogurt mixed with chocolate whey which makes a delicious pudding. For dinner, it was turkey burgers with mushrooms and swiss. Breakfast Friday was beef fajitas, mushrooms, and egg smothered in salsa. Eating healthy doesn't have to be difficult or mean eating boring foods.

My next projects are low calorie, low carb tortillas, probably from coconut flour and chocolate brownies made from whey.

oppo

Full Access Member
I am also seriously thinking of making pancakes with chocolate whey and topping them with powdered peanut butter.

kwo51

Full Access Member
Having osteoarthritis Dr. has me on Meloxican and weight gain is problem . Gym 3 times a week light weights and rowing . Knees will not allow running and wear brace to help with pain. Just looking foe something that works. Getting old sucks and being in pain is depressing. Eat well low fat and carbs. Good luck guys . 6" 260 and built like a brick shit house , just a big one.

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
I fluctuate my weight. But usually hover around 300lbs. During the winter I've been known to put on a little extra although I'm trying to keep that from happening again.
My wife and I have been gluten free for about four years now. We do go to McDonald's a lot but we still eat fairly healthy for fast food. In the mornings we order scrambled eggs and cheese with two slices of bacon. No gravy biscuit, no cinnamon bun, nothing that contains wheat or flour. The eggs they use are like "Egg Beaters" so there's no cholesterol to worry about either. For lunch we'll do a double cheeseburger minus the bun. They serve it in a little tray for us. And we don't touch the fries either. They contain wheat somehow.

The reason we've gone gluten free is due to a talk show I listened to one afternoon. They said that some people are Celiac and many more just have a gluten sensitivity. Both would benefit from cutting gluten out of their diet. So as an experiment, I went to my wife and told her I wanted to try this for two weeks and see how I felt. She decided to join me. Well, we haven't gone back to eating anything with wheat in four years. She gets sore joints from it and I get downright sick if I get ahold of any. I may not be a full blown Celiac but my sensitivity is pretty severe. I've even got to be careful about cross contamination whereas she doesn't.

I don't need a gym membership due to the work I do. I lift and sweat and bend and walk miles in the type work I do. I think the only thing my job lacks is cardio. I don't consider myself overweight but I do carry a few extra pounds. My weakness is sweet iced tea. I can drink it by the gallon. So that gives me what you would call a small beer gut. Fortunately, even though I'm 300lbs., I wear it well since I'm 6'9" tall. So some of you guys really aren't overweight. You just didn't grow tall enough. Lol.

kwo51

Full Access Member
I don't think I am fat , my knees do. USMC and football destroyed them. Trying to keep the ones God gave me as long as possible.

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
My knees like to play tricks on me too. If I turn wrong my knee often goes out and I can't straighten it out until I get down on my knees and bend them sharply. Then I can stand back up straight again. Probably something to do with the meniscus.

kwo51

Full Access Member
Not into rebuild yet. One family member had both done at the same time. Until then bear the pain.

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
Not into rebuild yet. One family member had both done at the same time. Until then bear the pain.

Fortunately, mine don't pain me. It's more an uncomfortable feeling until I get everything back where it's suppose to be. At this time, it's more an inconvenience when they go out on me. And it's usually only one at a time. Rarely do they both act up together. So I agree, no knife for awhile.

Arckadian

ME not fat . . . Me only minimally fat at this point. I am considered overweight, but I don't like that BMI crap anyway. Having said that. . . Even I feel I could stand to loose a few pounds in the gut area, but most of the exercises I know require me to use my legs a lot. Not good when have bad knees.

oppo

Full Access Member
Yeah, BMI is total crap. According to BMI, the "fittest man in the world" who wins the crossfit world championship year after year could be considered obese.

Rich-Froning.jpg

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
Yeah, BMI is total crap. According to BMI, the "fittest man in the world" who wins the crossfit world championship year after year could be considered obese.

Rich-Froning.jpg

I look just like that under my layer of cushion. I just don't like to flaunt it. Dadgum showoff.

oppo

Full Access Member
That is pretty much what I am trying to look like. I have lifted weights enough over the years to know I can put the muscle on. That part has always come fairly easy. The rest is diet and I have that figured out. That just leaves staying motivated. That is what makes all the difference.

oppo

Full Access Member
ME not fat . . . Me only minimally fat at this point. I am considered overweight, but I don't like that BMI crap anyway. Having said that. . . Even I feel I could stand to loose a few pounds in the gut area, but most of the exercises I know require me to use my legs a lot. Not good when have bad knees.

The gut is all diet. It is because of the way the body deals with carbs and blood sugar. That is why you see fit muscular guys who pretty lean overall but still have a gut. It is the way they eat that causes fat to be specifically stored in the gut.

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
The gut is all diet. It is because of the way the body deals with carbs and blood sugar. That is why you see fit muscular guys who pretty lean overall but still have a gut. It is the way they eat that causes fat to be specifically stored in the gut.

I know why I have a gut. It's my Sweet Iced Tea addiction. It's the only vice I have.

I don't cuss, smoke or drink.
Dammit I left my cigarettes at the bar again.
2Ck6MOv.gif

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.