Surplus weapons being scaled back to police

Sgt. Rock

Full Access Member
The federal government will no longer provide heavy military equipment like tanks and grenade launchers to local cops following weeks of backlash against officers who confronted protesters in Ferguson, Missouri, in armored vehicles and camouflage last year, President Barack Obama will announce Monday.

And if they want other, less-imposing military equipment, local law enforcement agencies will have to submit to stringent federal oversight and restrictions, according to guidelines Obama will outline during a visit to discuss police reform in Camden, New Jersey, for years one of the most dangerous cities in America.

A White House official told NBC News that the Justice Department is seeking to strike a balance by making only appropriate equipment available, and with clear operating standards, training and safety procedures.

The measures are the followup to an executive measure Obama issued in January to crack down on the intimidating image presented by local agencies patrolling the streets bristling with advanced military weaponry.

What about Homeland Security?...with a billion rounds of ammo and enough military vehicles to outfit a third world country and a budget that increases every year.

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
DHS will get it all and the cops will have to fight fair. Obama bullshit.

Ya know....with many police coming out saying they won't enforce laws against the second amendment, I could see BHO doing this to them. I was not for militarizing the police anyhow.

Jo6pak

Full Access Member
Read about this earlier today.

To me it's good news. As SRT said, the militarization of police has gone way too far. Why the F does a police department need a friggn MRAP???

kwo51

Full Access Member
I hope they never need any of them .I don't want them standing out in the open while rocks are thrown at them either. I would rather see our people in blue get them than ISIS. No I don't want them militarized either.

Last edited:

Sgt. Rock

Full Access Member
Can't we just go back to the old days of Dragnet and Adam-12 when all cops had were a .38 special, 12 gauge pump, a night stick and a squad car with a couple of red lights and a little siren "to protect and serve".

the_3.jpg

kwo51

Full Access Member
Open season had not been declared against them. If you go back in history you can plainly see when all the riots started!!!! Government started paying people to be poor.

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
I'd actually prefer going back a little farther to the days of Andy & Barney. Andy very rarely wore a gun.

Andy_Griffith_Show_Season_1_Screenshot_3.jpg

Full Access Member
In my mind, if you attack a LEO with a weapon such as rocks or molitove cocktails then he has the right to shoot to kill. If you do not have a weapon and attack them they can use any number of things to control you. JMHO

Concealed 27

Full Access Member
Well a lot of our law enforcement are former military of some sort....in other word s those guys have more live fire training than most Leo's without military exp.......
Concealed 27

Sgt. Rock

Full Access Member
I'd actually prefer going back a little farther to the days of Andy & Barney. Andy very rarely wore a gun.

Andy_Griffith_Show_Season_1_Screenshot_3.jpg

"Andy!...Andy!..look at those two guys robbing the bank!..we just can't stand here and let them get away with it!".

"Now Barney calm down..yes we can 'cause I took the liberty of removing the distributor cap from their get-a-way car earlier..along with their bullets from the guns...now go tell Aunt Bee I'll be a little late for dinner tonight".

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
OK, Andy and Barney may be a little far fetched. But that's the kind of town I want to live in. And I almost do. Roxboro, NC is a great little town. I know the sheriff when I see him. Heck, he's ridden his tractor in the Memorial Day parade when he was campaigning for office. We aren't quite like Mayberry but for these times it's not too bad.

If I ever move, it will be to an even smaller town. Walmart and McDonald's will have to be 20-30 minutes away instead of 15. And that's OK with me.

kwo51

Full Access Member
That is where I have lived for 30 years.Homestead is on land payed for and at one time was out in the sticks. Now everybody wants to be out here. May have to move to Detroit to be alone.

Members online

No members online now.