Scope advice please?

Bluez

Full Access Member
Fellas I know nothing about Scopes.

But I am trying to set up one of my newer rifles as a DMR, since all my others are set up as CQB.

I bought it unfired used for a song (well not really a song but I didnt pay nearly as much as it should have cost)
One of my most lucky buys in a while:

It has a breathtaking billet (!) Seekins Precsion Lower mated to a billet(!) Vltor Mur D Upper and a Noveske, CHF, cerakoted barrel.
because of the high end barrel and the beautiful Hydrodipping job I decided to set it up as a designated marksman.
I also have 120 rounds of 69 gr match grade PPU in stock.

I found a scope I liked:
Powerful, good brand and on sale:
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/123...-reticle-matte

BUT with a 5.56mm round I dont know if the maximum 18x isnt a bit overkill..
The 18x adds some weight and some cost (not much though since this scope is on sale)

then there is also this:
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/918...-reticle-matte

Lighter, slightly cheaper

BUT what I really want is a scope that is already camoed up.
I found on here:
Nikon PROSTAFF 3-9x40 Rifle Scope BDC Reticle 1/4 MOA Realtree APG Camo 6724

is this prostaff any good, form the looks and weight I like it?

I am looking to range maybe 600m, with match grade Ammo which is appropriate for a DMR I think, want to keep the Glass camoed and am open to any scope thats:
- reasonably robust
- Holds zero VERY well for extended in the bush operations.
- Not made in China
- performs well in uncertain light
- under 350 USD

Once the scope is on I will replace the troy flip ups with 45 degree angled irons as a back up for short range engagements.

Anyone have any thoughts or recommendations for a scope?
Also what EXACT products do I need to buy to make my scope mount on my picatinny rail to hold zero reliably assuming extended in the bush operations?

Attachments

• 100_0623.jpg
    100_0623.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 8
  • 100_0624.jpg
    100_0624.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 7
  • 100_0625.jpg
    100_0625.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

Bluez

Full Access Member
Kwo: Thanks for the links.:)

Still looking for a factory camouflaged scope though.
I went thru a lot of trouble to make sure my rifle doesnt look like a black stick to attract the human eye on the approach.

So I dont want to add another shorter black stick on top of it, otherwise I have to use scrimmage for camoflage which I was hoping to avoid.

Last edited:

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
This might interest you.
[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Millett-4-16x-Tactical-Rifle-Scope/dp/B004QEYRJQ/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1393116395&sr=8-5&keywords=millett+scope]Amazon.com: Millett 4-16x 50mm TRS- 1 30mm Tactical Rifle Scope (A-TAC Camo): Sports & Outdoors[/ame]

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
That's beautiful!
I almost bought it just now.
Still might :)

Read the reviews. Millet makes great glass for the money.

Unfortunately, I think they are Made In China.

Millett sold to Bushnell a number of years back. But it's still an incredible scope. As good as many scopes that cost 3 to 4 times as much.

Last edited:

Bluez

Full Access Member
Read the reviews. Millet makes great glass for the money.

Can you link ,me to a decent picatinny mount for this scope?
I dont know which ones can be relied on to keep zero and which ones cant...

What do u think of this one?
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Armed-Ops-Tactical-Earth-Cantilever/dp/B00GPFBPFS/ref=pd_rhf_sc_s_cp_?ie=UTF8&refRID=0SM13Y5AMDR34EMZFWK2[/ame]

Bluez

Full Access Member
The more I read the more I am liking this millet!

Edit: Oh I just read it is Chinese :(
At this price I was hoping japanese or at least Malaysia..

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
And here is a very cheap scope.
I would buy it if my rifle was inexpensive but whats the sense of putting a $65 scope on a almost $3000 (retail) rifle?

AIM Sports 3-9x40 Camo Coated Scope - Rifle Scopes at Binoculars

If you're looking for a longer range weapon then you might want more magnification than this scope offers.

You could just get a couple camo scope rings and mount them to the picatinny rail on your gun. But the mount you showed looks good as well.

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
The more I read the more I am liking this millet!

Edit: Oh I just read it is Chinese :(
At this price I was hoping japanese or at least Malaysia..
Yeah, that's a downer but it still gets great reviews. Looking at a comparable scope from anywhere else will double the price I think.

kwo51

Full Access Member
If you want real moa from your gun the rings will have to be lapped. Over my head but the pro shooters I know have hours into mounting their scopes.JMO

Bluez

Full Access Member
You're right its almost certainly not good enough , especially since its only 65 bucks.

if I cant find what I want I might use it as a starter scope to train switching to 45 degree angled Irons on the course.

I really like the scope you linked ,but I simply won't buy anything arms industry related that is chinese a sI dont want to play a part in building them up.
A starter scope i could maybe justify since then I dont give them much..

Aren't Nikons japanese?
Maybe I should look at them again.
There was one I liked but it was sold out.

Last edited:

Bluez

Full Access Member
If you want real moa from your gun the rings will have to be lapped. Over my head but the pro shooters I know have hours into mounting their scopes.JMO

Hmm. I know nothing about that.
Hopefully at the ranges I am looking at 600m tops ( it is a 5.56mm) that will not be an issue :)

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
Nightforce, Burris, Tikka and I believe Leapers/UTG are made in America. But I haven't seen any of those in camo.

Again, the Nikon is only a 3-9 power. You may want something that will get you a little closer than that.

Last edited:

kwo51

Full Access Member
The guns mostly I'm talking about are 308 or 300 some 338. Most are in service. Some call them space guns.

ninja man

Full Access Member
if you want to spend the money, schmidt and bender. but i cant afford that so i got a bushnell elite 6500. one for my .270 and one for my .338 lapua. i like them a lot and for the money, is a great deal. they are made in japan i believe. as far as camo, you are better off getting the scope and rings you want and then painting it. i wouldnt give up quality for a paint job. cabelas has a set of camo rings that run about $70. the rings i got are warne for both rifles. about $120 a set. i dont need a super expensive scope or rings, however i want a good quality piece. so i opted for the middle of the road. i am not disappointed one bit. the warne rings work well with my bushnell scope. i would also recommend the mildot reticle. i find it easier to sight in and adjust for your target.

ninja man

Full Access Member
my box says made in japan. i know some of the cheaper stuff is made in china. but from what understand the elite scopes are made in japan with german glass? not sure about that, but what i heard.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts