Scary Situations/ Shown or Pulled Gun

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
Fortunately I've never been in a situation where I've felt threatened enough to show or pull my gun. But I've been reading on a local forum stories of people who have.

Anyone here have a story they'd like to share on a scary situation?

I just thought of one from when I was a kid. .......We were traveling through Atlanta in our VW 411 station wagon. It quit on us. My father was able to get it over to the shoulder of the road. There was tons of traffic but nobody stopped to offer assistance. This was way before mobile phones so my father had to go find a phone to call for help. He left my mom, sister and myself sitting in the car on the side of the highway.

A little while later a see a rough looking guy walking up behind us approaching the car. We had a .22 revolver with us. I told my mother to give it to me. I might have been 15 or 16 years old at the time but I knew how to handle the gun. I'm sitting in the back seat with it pointed down at the floor hidden between my legs. The rough looking guy walked past us and kept on going up the road. I handed the revolver back to my mother who stashed it back in it's hiding place. But even at that age I would have done what needed to be done had he tried to break in and harm us.

My father returned and a little while later a wrecker came and took us to the local VW dealership. They worked on it for what seemed like an eternity and got it going again and we were on our way.

oppo

Full Access Member
Several years back(2001), I was out hunting with some friends. It was after sunset and extremely dark. We were heading back to camp which was about 8 miles away on the same ranch. I let one of the guys borrow my atv to retrieve a buck and I rode in the back of a pickup, sitting on the tailgate. There were two other men and two boys also in the back of the truck. On the way back, a couple of morons jumped out from behind some brush and ran towards us yelling threats. All I could really see were two shadows but knowing they didn't come out there without firearms and knives, I was willing to take them at their word. The guy beside me unholstered his 9mm and his dad beside him his 38 and I unholstered my little old 454 on my hip as we "asked" them to stop. At this point, reality must of sunk in and they indeed stopped. It turned out that they mistook us for poachers and just had a serious case of stupid.

I also had another incident on the same ranch where the same revolver resolved a conflict with another moron without me touching it. This jackass showed up and drove all over our lease for probably a couple of hours right up until sunset. He drove up to my feeder and drove right between another guy and his feeder twice pulling an empty loud ass trailer the whole time. This piece of garbage wasn't even supposed to be there at all. When I went behind the hill from my stand to get my a tv and head back to camp, he was parked there by his buddy's travel trailer which wasn't supposed to be there. He had the nerve to get an attitude and aggressively confront me on my lease and ask if I was supposed to be there as he marched toward me. Keep in mind that at this point, I hadn't said a single word to him. I am very easy going and don't care for conflict but at this point, I was plenty pissed off and giving this asshole the beating he was obviously looking for was fine with me. I not so politely informed him that I was supposed to be there and asked who he was. The whole time, he was advancing toward me. I still don't know what his issue was but as he closed the last few feet, I naturally turned my right hip away from him just incase he tried to reach for my revolver. At this point, he looked down toward my hip, his eyes got really wide, he may have actually soiled himself, and he literally turned and ran to the trailer slamming the door behind him and clumsily tried to lock it. The idiot hadn't even noticed the large Super Redhawk sitting on my hip in plane sight.

That was my only year on that ranch.

I also had an interesting morning out there when I crossed paths with a mountain lion well before daylight and didn't have a light with me. I never actually saw it but that scream is a blood chilling sound when it is really close by.

Last edited:

Silver-Bolt

Full Access Member
My buddy and his two sons like to hunt long range. At the time their weapon of choice was a Barret .50cal. They had just dropped a nice 6x6 bull elk at 800 yards. My buddy stayed on the gun and his two grown sons (20's at the time) made the trek to the elk. By the time they got there two other hunters had moved in on their kill. They claimed that they had shot it. The son's pointed out the rather large .50cal hole and reaffirmed the animal was indeed theirs. My buddy was watching through the scope. The other hunters started getting aggressive and unshouldered their rifles. The son's once again pointed out the .50cal hole and stated that their rifle was still manned on the hilltop and suggested they back away. About that time my buddy came across the two-way radio asking if there was any problem. Short story the two hunters hauled ass and my buddy got the elk. Kind of a .50cal CCW story. lol

shooter

So 2003 I was in Arizona at the ripe old age of 27. We had driven down a LONG gravel road to the Verde Hot Springs in Camp Verde. The hot springs are all that's left of a huge resort from the 1920's. We had to hike along the river in the dark to get to the springs from the campground we were at. I specifically asked if we should carry radios in case we were to get separated. I was assured we wouldn't. Suffice to say we did and lesson learned.

I had carried my HK USP .40 to the springs and stashed it in my bag while swimming and checking out naked hippies. Everyone else was drinking quite a bit, but I abstained due to my pistol.

My wife and I left in between other pairs in our group heading back. When we got to a fork in the trail, I struggled to remember which direction we have come from. Unfamiliar territory plus it was dark and I just couldn't pick out my landmarks. Thank goodness we didn't have radios with us! Either way this fork was right next to a particularly loud part of the river. There must have been some fast water there because it totally killed your hearing. You could have been approached from behind and never heard it. As I struggled to study the foot prints, something along the wooded bank was spooked and jumped into the water. I have no idea what it was, maybe a deer, a mountain lion, a hippie, a hillbilly, a turkey, who knows. What I do know is my wife jumped 12-14 feet straight into the air as her bowls released. I jumped as well and pulled my pistol. I held it as best I could along with a 3 D cell maglight towards to perceived sound. I know for a fact my hands were shaking and secretly I was praying nothing came out of that line of trees because I really didn't want to kill anyone or anything. After about 3-5 seconds nothing emerged except for one of the other groups that left the springs after us came up the same trail behind. We agreed on the right path and got the hell out of there. Easily the most startled I've ever been, and the closest I've ever been to firing my weapon in defense.

I will tell you, I am so glad I had it. There are plenty of Mountain Lions in them there parts, and certainly there could be some bad folks. I resolved to the fact if I ever went back, I'd bring my AR and better lighting!

oppo

Full Access Member
Ha, that reminds of a particular morning hog hunting in a thick and partially flooded area. It was hard to see very far through the thick brush. As I was walking along, something made a huge racket crashing out of the brush behind me only a few feet away. Naturally, I assumed it was an angry hog. I spun around and drew to find my muzzle pointed directly at the chest of a buzzard. Apparently, it had been eating something behind an old log and didn't see me approaching. The amount of noise it made as it's wings crashed through a bunch of saplings was pretty amazing.

kwo51

Full Access Member
Buzzards sound like they are made of metal when they take off. Like I feel in the morning.

Jo6pak

Full Access Member
When I was in college (for Police Science, incidentally), I had 2 guys break into our apartment while I was sleeping. First I thought it was just my roommate coming home from work, till I sat up in bed and saw 2 strangers in the living room. What the hell?
The light was on in the living room but not in my bedroom, so they couldn't see me. When I challenged them, one started walking toward the bedroom door, trying to see inside.
I rolled over and grabbed the 870 off the floor, stood up and yelled "Get the F- out of my home!!"

The guy that was approaching me, stopped for a split second to look back at his partner, who was beginning to follow.
F-k, I have nowhere to go, f-k, f-k. I don't wanna shoot anyone..
I held my ground in the shadow of the bedroom and racked a shell into the chamber.....

The first guys eyes got bigger than his head and they both bolted out the door.

I was so amped up that I actually chased after them. when I got to the front door, I thought What the hell are you doing.

I went back inside, re-locked the door, retreated to the bedroom and called 911.

A cop showed up in about 10 minutes, in which time I think I smoked 10 cigarettes.

GunnerJacky

I have never faced any situation till date which made me show or pull the trigger. I'm sure the day is near as I'm flying off to Honduras soon. I've heard that Honduras' homicide rate of 90.4 per 100,000 is the highest in the world. I hope I'll be safe there till I own my handgun. :)

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
I have never faced any situation till date which made me show or pull the trigger. I'm sure the day is near as I'm flying off to Honduras soon. I've heard that Honduras' homicide rate of 90.4 per 100,000 is the highest in the world. I hope I'll be safe there till I own my handgun. :)

Good luck. Be safe.

The War Wagon

Full Access Member
SilvrSRT10, being a Tarheel, will appreciate this. This happened to me in college 20+ years ago when I was at WCU. I'm a 10th generation Tarheel, for reference - I just happen to live & work up here now. :p

"Caught in a Parking Lot Riot" is my story, btw.

CHGUNS.jpg

DTRIOT1.jpg

DTRIOT2.jpg

I actually got paid $75 for my story, which I wasn't anticipating! I was in grad school @ the time - it went fast! :rolleyes:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts