Ruger 22/45

TScottW99

Full Access Member
I bought a Ruger 22/45 a couple of years ago. I am a big fan of this pistol. It will shoot much better than I can and a blast on the range. My biggest gripe is the magazine disconnect and the hard magazine release.

Santa brought me the fix for both this year. A Tandemkross magazine disconnect bushing. I just finished installing it. No more magazine safety and the magazines jump out of the gun. I'm supper happy for $9.99. :D

I think next will be a Volquartsen sear and trigger to clean up the creep.

Santa also brought a Black Max holster for the 22/45. Can't wait until squirrel season to give it a workout.

Last edited:

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
Good info. I may have to doctor my 22/45 Lite.

gw-1305-RUGER-1.jpg

TScottW99

Full Access Member
The bushing helps with that also. With no magazine safety you loses the need to insert the mag, take it out and then put it back in. It also makes the main spring a tad easier to put back in.

Still harder than it needs to be :D I clean mine with a pull through cleaner mostly. Field strip it once a blue moon.

cce1302

Full Access Member
I have the previous version of the same 5" bull barrel pistol. Great gun. Don't need to worry about the mag disconnect, but the volquartsen accurizing kit was a great investment.

I'll have to look into that holster, as I haven't gotten around to buying one for mine. Does the holster extend far beyond the barrel? do you think it would be good to cut it off with a dremel?

TScottW99

Full Access Member
I have the previous version of the same 5" bull barrel pistol. Great gun. Don't need to worry about the mag disconnect, but the volquartsen accurizing kit was a great investment.

I'll have to look into that holster, as I haven't gotten around to buying one for mine. Does the holster extend far beyond the barrel? do you think it would be good to cut it off with a dremel?

The holster extends right at 1" past the barrel. You could cut the inch off with no problems as there is no screws or other vital parts in that last inch. Here is a pic I took for you....

Brownells has the best price by far for the holster. $26.99 for either the low ride or high ride. Midway has it for $33.

Low-Rider Holster : RUGER® MARK I/II/III BLACK MAX HOLSTER | Brownells

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
I love my 22/45 but dang I want one of those :D I need to do a video of the magazine jumping out after the upgrade. Wish I had done a before and after video. Huge difference.

Based on your bushing review, I have one on the way. Now I get to do some more gun smithing. Watched a Youtube video on how to do it. Shouldn't be too difficult.

TScottW99

Full Access Member
Based on your bushing review, I have one on the way. Now I get to do some more gun smithing. Watched a Youtube video on how to do it. Shouldn't be too difficult.

Good deal. It was easy to do. Hardest part is the normal field strip and put back together :jester:

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
Just did my %*$@* Tandemkross modification. Just who was the evil person that thought up the design of the 22/45? I was following along with the video walking you through the modification. With the hammer and mag disconnect out I tried to even up the pin in the safety and everything came apart in my hands. Which I need four of to hold everything in position while I got the pin back in. I was yelling at the guy in the video to slow down. My guns just fallen apart.

Pull the little spring back. Get the safety in and line it up with that other thingy down in there and insert the pin back in to hold everything in place. Then get the hammer back in and get the pin through the Tankerkross bushing until the little spring thing snaps back into place on the pin. And don't forget the spring and thing at the front of the trigger connector.

But I got it. Now the mag drops when you press the release and all is well. I guess it doesn't help that my eye's are failing me. I need glasses and one of those lights you wear on your head to see what I'm doing anymore.

Last edited:

TScottW99

Full Access Member
Just did my %*$@* Tandemkross modification. Just who was the evil person that thought up the design of the 22/45? I was following along with the video walking you through the modification. With the hammer and mag disconnect out I tried to even up the pin in the safety and everything came apart in my hands. Which I need four of to hold everything in position while I got the pin back in. I was yelling at the guy in the video to slow down. My guns just fallen apart.

Pull the little spring back. Get the safety in and line it up with that other thingy down in there and insert the pin back in to hold everything in place. Then get the hammer back in and get the pin through the Tankerkross bushing until the little spring thing snaps back into place on the pin. And don't forget the spring and thing at the front of the trigger connector.

But I got it. Now the mag drops when you press the release and all is well. I guess it doesn't help that my eye's are failing me. I need glasses and one of those lights you wear on your head to see what I'm doing anymore.

Yikes, that sucks. I was going super slow to make sure that pin did not go too far. I really wish I had ordered a Volquartsen hammer & sear when I was doing this. They are compatible with the Tankerkross bushing and that would mean I wouldn't have to do it again :D

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
Yikes, that sucks. I was going super slow to make sure that pin did not go too far. I really wish I had ordered a Volquartsen hammer & sear when I was doing this. They are compatible with the Tankerkross bushing and that would mean I wouldn't have to do it again :D

Now that I've done it once it should be a piece of cake to do it again. It was just frustrating doing it the first time. What does the hammer and sear run $$ ? Before you drop a bundle on any of that stuff, Check out this video.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRhOBiclaCY]TRIGGER JOB RUGER MARK III "Very Simple" - YouTube[/ame]

TScottW99

Full Access Member
I've actually watched that the other night and have thought about it. The hammer by itself is about $33. There is a kit but that runs $100. I don't mind my trigger weight so much it's the creep before hand that I hate.

The War Wagon

Full Access Member
I've got a .22/45 with 5" bull barrel myself - schweeeet shooter. Also discovered - quite by accident (didn't pay attention to the packaging at the gun shop, until I got home!!!) - that Mk.II mags wil also fit it! :chewie:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts