Rifle+Ammunition+Water=Junk?

Max

Full Access Member
Hello everyone

I have a question about ammunition in modern assault rifles, and I hope you guys can help me.
It is once again a question that came up during research for my novel, and I failed to find an answer somewhere else.

The setup is as follows:
The Protagonist searches a house for hostile soldiers with her AKM slung, and, of course, runs into some.
Lacking options she jumpes into a pool for cover, taking the loaded rifle with her.
In the following the rifle is submerged for almost five minutes before it is retrived and brought back to the surface.
There would be no time to strip it, or to clean/dry it, as it would neet to be fired very soon after it resurfaces.

My question is pretty simple.
After being in the pool (fresh water with chlorine) for some time, would the rifle still work?
ANd would the ammunition still work?
(In case that matters, it's completely standart ammunition)
Or would either the rifle or the ammunition useless (forever or until the next maintenance)?

Thanks for your time

Max

Silver-Bolt

Full Access Member
I swam in the Panama canal with a full combat load and everything worked just fine. Military ammo is sealed so the water is not going to affect it. Both the M16 and AK platforms work just fine after submerging.

Concealed 27

Full Access Member
U can youtube ak47 shooting shooting underwater I cant post a link right but y out will see it, very cool in slow motion..... let me know if you watch it

Jo6pak

Full Access Member
C27+ I've seen that video too, pretty cool

The rifle will fire submerged, it should function fine. A problem could arise if there is an air bubble inside the mechanism somewhere.

But even then, the bullet wouldn't travel more than a few feet underwater.
:fish_h4h:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts