Reply from my legislation

KKing

Full Access Member
Not sure that this is the right section, but I wanted to share this because it made me grin. I guess I should preface this by saying I know this may have never even been seen by Joey Hensley, and I certainly know he didn't write the response, but the content of the reply is what makes me happy. I'll start with what I sent to all my representatives:

Sen.-elect Hensley:

I will not accept any compromise on any weapons ban bill nor any compromise on my second amendment rights. I would greatly appreciate a stand from my elected representatives. The second amendment makes no mention of self defense or hunting as the anti gun community would have us believe, but rather a militia, that if need be could defend against a tyranical government. The proposed bills are solely feel good legislation and will do nothing to stop instances of mass killings, as supported by info gathered from the AWB of 1994-2004. This "assault weapon" attack is not on true assault weapons, as those have been banned from being bought by the public since 1986. The proposed bans are based on physical features, or looks of the guns, not the firing function of the weapon. The term "assault weapon" and "weapon of war" are simply made up terms to put fear in the minds of those uneducated on the subject. As my representative, I implore you to not only disregard these terms and oppose these bills, but to educate those who choose to use these terms to further their agenda.

Sincerely,
Kyle King

And the reply:

I am the Senate sponsor of the bill presented in the House by Representative Joe Carr that prohibits the enforcement and prosecution of certain federal law implemented or executed on or after January 1, 2013, concerning certain firearms, firearm accessories or ammunition.

I am firmly and unshakably in support of our second amendment rights. You can count on me to do everything I can here at the State level to protect them

Thank you for writing and please do so any time I may be of service.

Senator Joey Hensley, MD

TENNESSEE FTW! :gr_guns:

KKing

Full Access Member
That's great that you got a response.

I agree. Granted, he's the only one I've heard back from so far, but as I understand some had their email turned off temporarily or something....so I sent snail mail. That's the kind of response I can't imagine many would be bold enough to give in today's world

DrkSide

Full Access Member
This is much better of a response than I got from Senator Mark Pryor:

"There is no doubt the shooting has heightened Americans' attention to gun laws, and a number of proposals have already been brought forth in response to this tragedy. I feel it is my duty as a U.S. Senator to consider legislation based on its merits and future ramifications. As Congress evaluates proposals related to all aspects of firearm violence, I will be sure to keep your views in mind."

I am not sure what I expected to get from someone given a C- rating by the NRA and an F by the Gun Owners of America.

Maxx2893

Full Access Member
I'm happy with what I received back.

I sent this.

(I'll post this later)

I received this back

Dear Mr. Miller: 
Thank you for contacting me with your view regarding gun control and theSecond Amendment. First, my thoughts and prayers go out to the familiesof those who lost their life in the tragedy that took place inConnecticut. However, taking rights away from responsible citizens willnot prevent future horrific events from happening.

The Obama Administration's recently announced plan amounts to a powergrab in my opinion. I will fight any legislation that further restrictsqualified owners' access to guns. I am also against the President usingexecutive orders to circumvent the will of the people and infringe onthe constitutional rights of my constituents. 

The right to bear arms is guaranteed by the Second Amendment to the Constitution, and I am a consistent supporter of that right. I believethat violent crime must be reduced, but I will not support measures thatinfringe upon the Constitutional rights of law-abiding citizens. 

I support an individual's right to defend themselves, their family, andtheir property with a legally obtained firearm. This right is put injeopardy by those advocating stricter control measures. The gun controlmovement hurts law-abiding citizens and businesses, not the criminalswho care nothing for the law. I believe we can better reduce the misuseof firearms by strongly enforcing laws already on the books andmaintaining responsible judiciaries. 

Again, thank you for contacting me. Please let me know how I may be offurther assistance to you. 

Sincerely, 
Joe Barton
Member of Congress 

Members online

No members online now.