Range 13 Oct 12

Arckadian

Me and dad went to the range again today..... I am gonna post my targets in order of first to last like last time.... The 3rd target I only used the 1911..... had some issues with my grip on that one. The 4th was a close up of a REALLLLLY lucky shot but I was still happy with it

Attachments

• IMG_0146.jpg
    IMG_0146.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0149.jpg
    IMG_0149.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0150.jpg
    IMG_0150.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0151.jpg
    IMG_0151.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 8

sixtyin5

Full Access Member
Anticipating the break... same... too much trigger finger (?)... Looks like a good shot in there to me.

sixtyin5

Full Access Member
which target are you refering too... the 1911 one?
All three, in order. :D

Although, looking at your first two targets, I have to wonder what your sight picture looks like.

Are you holding the top of the front sight centered on the bull?

Which one of these does it look like?

sightimages.jpg

Arckadian

Actually to be honest I was shooting both left and right handed on all targets so part of the reason they look crappy is because I was confirming which hand was dominant.... I am saddedn that my left hand is better than my right.... but my hands were shaken really bad today as well.. I was less than happy.

Arckadian

hehe it might be ok... but like I said my hand started shaking very quickly... I probably got no more than 10 shots off before I couldnt sight down the sights with my right hand. a little hand shake I expected not shaking so back that I could barely hold the weapon....

Image 2 is correct btw

sixtyin5

Full Access Member
hehe it might be ok... but like I said my hand started shaking very quickly... I probably got no more than 10 shots off before I couldnt sight down the sights with my right hand. a little hand shake I expected not shaking so back that I could barely hold the weapon....

Image 2 is correct btw

This is probably why your shot group is just high of center. Unless you have adjusted your sights.

Arckadian

Our problem is the range we go to is a 15 yard minimum range... We did find an indoor range today though will allow us to shoot at something less than way out in no mans land.... I think this next weekend we will be going to the indoor range and work on our aims a little bit

ViperJeff

Administrator
Here are mine for today

#1 - Was shooting two bullet sets. Just to see where I was hitting. You will see both .40 and .22 holes in some of the targets as I was practicing.

#2 - On target two, I was wearing a previous par of glasses that didn't have as big a difference in the progressive bifocals I use.... got me thinking. I was hitting better even though I couldn't see the broad side of the barn.

#3 - Back to my current glasses. Held my head differently so I wasn't as close to the bifocal shift.... hmm, did better again.

#4 - The last target I felt a little bit more comfortable with the way I was holding the gun, the way I was looking through my glasses. It's going to take a lot of practice to get it right, but I'm learning. That last target I was loading 10 at a time instead of 2. I was able to stay on target a bit better, my grip remained constant and even better, I understand how my glasses were screwing me up.....

On a side note: As we were shooting, a fair sized doe ran across the range right in front of me..... What a day

Attachments

• 101312-01-web.jpg
    101312-01-web.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 3
  • 101312-02-web.jpg
    101312-02-web.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 3
  • 101312-03-web.jpg
    101312-03-web.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 3
  • 101312-04-web.jpg
    101312-04-web.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 4

sixtyin5

Full Access Member
Gettin' better Jeff!

I always ask my shooters that wear glasses if they can focus on the front sight without the glasses. If the answer is yes, the next question is if they can still make out the center of the target well. If that answer is yes, the response is, shoot without the glasses. (Always wear at least some safety glasses)

Typically, someone who wears progressive lenses has a hard time finding the sweet spot in their glasses and I can see them searching for the best view. You should only be focusing on the front sight anyway, so if you can keep it in focus and still see the target and the rear sights that's all you need. If you can do that without the glasses, just wear the safety glasses.

Now, if you can't clearly see the sights without the glasses, you will have to learn the sweet spot on the lens, obviously.

fergie

It also has to with your comfortability with each weapon. How each weapon recoils can be different as well how each hand will handle the recoil. And I wouldn't worry about which hand just which eye is dominant. Because I am left handed but have to shoot right handed because being right eye dominant.

sixtyin5

Full Access Member
Sorry Fergie, I disagree, to a point.

Being comfortable with each gun, I will buy. (Comfort = confidence) But, how you handle recoil, grip, aiming and trigger control don't change from gun to gun. The basic fundamentals remain the same.
Aiming - Hold Control - Breath Control - Trigger Control - Follow-Through. Every shot, every gun. Aiming and Trigger-Control being the most important...

ViperJeff

Administrator
Aiming - Hold Control - Breath Control - Trigger Control - Follow-Through. Every shot, every gun. Aiming and Trigger-Control being the most important...

WOW, that sould like what Steve told me at the range

Members online

No members online now.