Preliminary review Troy Battle Rifle for $600

Bluez

Full Access Member
BravoRifle-16-studio.jpg

The good the indifferent and the annoying:

– The price was awesome.

– The barrel configurations is just how I like it: mid profile, no M203 notch (not gov’t profile), midlenght gas.

Also I been wanting another 14.5 pinned rifle for a while. The barrel is 1 in 7 (I prefer 1 in 9) and is melonited which I have been preferring over chrome lined as of late.

– Nice Troy quadrail just as advertised

– Troy Battle Ax Butt stock.
It seems ergonomic, smooth so stuff wont’ hang up on it and does have as advertised a lot of storage room.
What I didnt like about it, it seemed to fit quite a bit looser on the tube than I like.
No comparison to the LMT or Vtor stocks in terms of firmness.

– Troy trigger guard

– Came w/ 2 Troy free mags

– Upper and lower mating is very decent, not record holding but decent and better than several more expensive products I could name (but wont). This is important to me as I dont like things “wiggly” on my rifles.

– The rifle was just drenched in oil when I got it. Not packing grease.. oil. never had a shipped rifle drip and I do mean actually drip oil all over.
Even after wiping it for 30 minutes straight it was still wet all over and oil drops have been appearing as if by magic on the rifle since yesterday whenever I turn it over.

– Aside from the nice furniture (rail, stock, trigger guard) the rifle comes pretty “naked”,.. no sights, no VFG.

– The bolt was not MPI inspected. (see pic the non MPI bolt on top is the one that came w/ the rifle) and its finish seemed striated (best way I can describe it).
Clearly a low end bolt, which is unsurprising as manufactures source bolts from wherever and which such a cheap rifle it was predictable corners would have to be cut somewhere.
As luck would have it I had a near new MPI tested NiB coated spare Bolt handy ;-) which is now in the rifle.

– BCG looked pretty good, nice solid chrome lined interior has the AR15 cut (not M16 cut but since this is a mid-lenght gas with a 14.5 barrel that is probably very appropriate) (see pic)

– The extractor does not feature the now widely desired rubber insert.

I dressed the rifle a bit since it arrived naked.
So it now sports:

-AFG, I prefer VFG,s but had no spare VFG and didnt want to buy one for what is supposed to be an economy purchase.
-VTAC sling in multicam. ON paper this sling looks great but I found the extra nylon getting in the way. Also its kinda od too slim. Not my favorite sling at all but it looks cool and I couldnt find my spare blackhawk 2 point.
-Set of troy flip ups are currently the only sights on the gun (as shown).

Since this is a shorter and also nice and light Carbine I might move an Eotech off one of my other rifles onto this gun and replace that pother rifles EOtech with my spare scope.

Once shot it I will update this thread with a report how it cycles soft and hotter brass Ammo and also how it does with steel case.

Attachments

• 101_0687.jpg
    101_0687.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 8
  • 101_0688.jpg
    101_0688.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 8
  • 101_0689.jpg
    101_0689.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 10
  • 101_0690.jpg
    101_0690.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 7
  • 101_0691.jpg
    101_0691.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 8

Bluez

Full Access Member
Couple more pics:

Attachments

• 101_0693.jpg
    101_0693.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 4
  • 101_0694.jpg
    101_0694.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 6
  • 101_0695.jpg
    101_0695.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 4

Bluez

Full Access Member
Update.

This weekend I ran approx 200 rds thru it.

Wolf Steel case, followed by brass, followed by steel case again , in other words doing exactly what you are not supposed to do in order to to challenge it as much as possible.

had one failure to extract, quickly solved via tap-rack-bang.

Wonder if its the guns fault of me putting on a bolt I had lying around because it was MPI unlike the stock.

Not sure where that bolt came from on closer examination it may not have been near new..

I think I put the bolt it came with back in.

Even so, pretty satisfied with the ergonomics of the rifle and the nice rail it came with and the way it shoots.

1 failure to extract when mixing steel and brass the way I did is not too horrible I think.

Concealed 27

Full Access Member
Nice review , looks like a good rifle and thanks for pics.... I actually been wondering bout them....Concealed 27

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts