OKC Council approves liquor license for gun range

Sgt. Rock

Full Access Member
OKLAHOMA CITY — Bullets and beer could soon become a reality at a gun range in Oklahoma City. As long as the bullets come before the beer, that is.

The Oklahoma City city council approved a liquor license on Tuesday for the Wilshire Gun Range, a planned 40,000-square-foot establishment that will include 24 firearm lanes, 10 archery lanes and a cafe where food and alcohol can be served.

Owner Jeff Swanson said the gun range will be the first in the state where people can shoot and enjoy libations — and do it safely.

"Any misconceptions or joking aside, beer and bullets, guns and alcohol, they do not mix," Swanson told TV station KOKH.

People must shoot first, and then drink, Swanson said.

To ensure that, customers' driver's licenses will be scanned before he or she operates a lane or orders food, alcohol or merchandise.

"Once your order a drink your driver's license is scanned and you are red-flagged and you're not allowed into any of the shooting facilities, either as a spectator and certainly not as a shooter for the remainder of the day," Swanson said. Staff will also be trained in field sobriety and use cameras to monitor customers.

But Capt. Brent Fairchild with the Alcoholic Beverage Laws Enforcement Commission, an agency that polices liquor establishments, is skeptical.

"I guess you could go back to the old adage where there's a will there's a way, so no matter how many safeguards you do put in place there's always someone who's going to try to get around those," Fairchild said.

The gun range's owners must still apply for a license from the alcohol commission.

I can just see 4x4's pulling up to the range with a bunch of Billy Bob's with their .357's and shotguns expecting a good old time with their guns and Lone Stars.

Concealed 27

Full Access Member
Everybody else makes money on alcohol the way they scan your license it's a good thing. Oh wait till a drunken shootout happens in the parking lot which I'm sure will happen then ruin it.jmho
Concealed 27

kwo51

Full Access Member
Legally armed people are the most well mannered and polite people . There may never be a problem. There have been suicides at gun rental ranges. Can't stop stupid.

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
I see this leading to all kinds of confusion. When someone says "Hand me a Colt 45", Do they mean the 1911 or the malt liquor?
joke.gif

Members online

No members online now.