Need help on upper build

RangerDanger

Full Access Member
I was going to buy a core 15 upper in 300 blackout but they recently made some changes to the version I wanted. Not only did they change the rail system to one I don't like but the price went up $150.

So, if I'm gonna spend that kind of money I may as well build it exactly like I want it. This will be my first build so take it easy on me lol. I guess I should start with what I'm looking for and what my overall plan for this gun will be. Once we have that figured out if some of you guys could tell me exactly what all I need (parts list) that would be great. I'm also open to recommendations and guidance from some of you more knowledgeable guys.

1. I'm trying to stay in the $750-800 range without sights. This will be a SBR in blackout and will eventually be suppressed.

2. I'd like around a 10" barrel with a pistol length gas system. I'm also wanting a quad rail system the same length or close to the same length as the barrel. Still undecided on a nickel boron or chrome BCG. I'd also like a flash hider that is suppressor friendly (for when I finally go suppressed)

3. Lets hear your thoughts, ideas and recommendations. If you have any links that would be great.

Thanks, Tim

Bullnettles

Full Access Member
I was going to buy a core 15 upper in 300 blackout but they recently made some changes to the version I wanted. Not only did they change the rail system to one I don't like but the price went up $150.

So, if I'm gonna spend that kind of money I may as well build it exactly like I want it. This will be my first build so take it easy on me lol. I guess I should start with what I'm looking for and what my overall plan for this gun will be. Once we have that figured out if some of you guys could tell me exactly what all I need (parts list) that would be great. I'm also open to recommendations and guidance from some of you more knowledgeable guys.

1. I'm trying to stay in the $750-800 range without sights. This will be a SBR in blackout and will eventually be suppressed.

2. I'd like around a 10" barrel with a pistol length gas system. I'm also wanting a quad rail system the same length or close to the same length as the barrel. Still undecided on a nickel boron or chrome BCG. I'd also like a flash hider that is suppressor friendly (for when I finally go suppressed)

3. Lets hear your thoughts, ideas and recommendations. If you have any links that would be great.

Thanks, Tim

I'll lend you my wrench and upper holders. Do you have a vise?

TheFuzz

Full Access Member
First and foremost -

Fun gun, or intended for social work? That will dictate alot of the recommendations here.

Bullnettles

Full Access Member
Mostly just a fun gun. I may use it for hog hunting occasionally (need to check local laws first).

I believe our only laws on hogs are (1) if you're baiting them, you need a hunting license, and (2) suppressors are ok. I'm not sure on spotlights. I think just about anything should be legal to take them out. :biggun:

IronworksTactical

In tx use nv and Suppressors and go to town.

Rainier sells good barrels may want to look there. I don't know their 300 line in SBR sorry just going off of general knowledge. As for upper receiver any good mil-spec upper such as aero precision, spikes, etc will work fine. Spend the cash on the barrel. I personally like the surefire muzzle breaks that QD the Suppressors. Lots of rail choices out there just gotta go with a free floated rail that you like the look of.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RangerDanger

Full Access Member
In tx use nv and Suppressors and go to town.

Rainier sells good barrels may want to look there. I don't know their 300 line in SBR sorry just going off of general knowledge. As for upper receiver any good mil-spec upper such as aero precision, spikes, etc will work fine. Spend the cash on the barrel. I personally like the surefire muzzle breaks that QD the Suppressors. Lots of rail choices out there just gotta go with a free floated rail that you like the look of.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was looking at rainier and noveske barrels about the same time you were posting that lol. I still haven't made my mind up but I'm not rushing it. If I see a smoking deal I'll go ahead and pick one up. I wouldn't mind a spikes upper since I'm using one of their lowers on this build. Do you know anything about scorpion tactical uppers? I found one of theirs that I like but I know nothing of them. I'll check out the surefire muzzle breaks. Shoot me a PM on with your best prices on 9" and 10" free float rails you have when you have time.

I like the spikes upper but they're hard to find in stock. That's why I'm leaning heavily towards building my own.

RangerDanger

Full Access Member
I just ordered a 10.5" shilen barrel off of gunbroker so the option of buying a complete upper is gone. That's all I have so far on the upper though

Russ D

I built my 10" .300 blk on a 10" Noveske barrel and a 9" Troy TRX HG. It is a very handy and accurate package. It works very with with the AAC can. One thing about Noveske barrels is you get a cross pinned gas block with the barrel. Cross pinned gas blocks are superior to bolt on and clamp on blocks.

RangerDanger

Full Access Member
Finally have some updates. I got most of my parts for the lower. Just waiting on the buffer kit to show up. Couple of pics

F85ED23C-42AE-4365-BC20-41BA200FDF68-109-00000002E99BEF86.jpg

Got to assemble most of it. Pretty simple process after watching a few videos on YouTube

09DE3E95-1E07-46C7-87EC-EED2E4D438EB-109-0000000322FEEEC2.jpg

Barrel shipped today and still trying to make up my mind on a few other parts

Last edited:

Bullnettles

Full Access Member
Forgot to tell you, picked up my 10" 300BLK barrel yesterday... it is SWEET. Bit heavier than I need, but SS match for $255, I can live with that.

RangerDanger

Full Access Member
Forgot to tell you, picked up my 10" 300BLK barrel yesterday... it is SWEET. Bit heavier than I need, but SS match for $255, I can live with that.

From the shop you told me about? I'll have to check it out in the next few days. I may take a trip to south Houston sometime this weekend

RangerDanger

Full Access Member
Few more updated pics. Got the buffer kit and magazines today

F6BA8AAA-B56A-4790-A3E2-3476C91BEB17-1764-00000259B24EE97B.jpg

DAA192EF-05BE-4A22-9FEA-18C09B17DB13-1764-00000259A1E4C133.jpg

Jared, good seeing you again today

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.