Mini 14...

mopower318

I just want a good overall opinion on the mini 14. What can be done to it to make it an accurate hunting rifle. I however DO NOT want a pissing match to start.... Thanks for any advice guys:handshake:

oppo

Full Access Member
I guess that depends on what your idea of accurate is. If you don't already have one, it is worth noting that the newer ones are supposed to be more accurate.

TheFuzz

Full Access Member
Older ones with the thinner barrels are more susceptible to issues w/ barrel harmonics...there are bolt on accurizers that you can add to help with that.

Newer ones are pretty well built out of the box. Add some glass and go to town. They are reliable and good for 2-3 MOA, but will never be match shooters without a lot of work IMO.

TheFuzz

Full Access Member
Honestly the only experience I have with the Mini 14 is cleaning the ones collecting dust in our armory, and shooting my uncle's a time or two. Check out www.perfectunion.com - all the mini 14 info you could ever want.

Txhillbilly

Full Access Member
I bought a first series (180) Mini 14 back in the 1982. With handloads it would shoot close to 1 MOA at 100 yards for the first 2-3 shots,but after that thin little barrel got some heat in it,the groups would go to 3-4 moa.
That rifle killed many coyotes in all the years that I had it,along with 4-5 whitetails.

Mini 14's get a bad rap from a lot of guy's because they won't shoot worth a damn when you dump a 20-30 rd magazine,but most AR 15's or AK's don't shoot very good when the barrels are hot either.

While the Mini 14 will never be a "Tack Driver",they are great little rifles if used for the purpose that they were intended to do.

Texasgordo

I use the factory sights on mine and its fairly accurate under 100 yards. I love my AR but my Mini 14s are lots of fun.

Both Minis that I have are older models but I have thought about buying a new model to try out.

Silver-Bolt

Full Access Member
The AR platform is a better way to go in my opinion. Parts and accessories are more readily available and less expensive. Endless configuration possibility. Better accuracy out of the box. Easier to clean and maintain.

mgentry

Full Access Member
The Mini 14s are very nice rifles but ... You can't get spare parts for them (except from Ruger at their price) and you have to buy the mags from Ruger (I haven't seen a third party mag that works well in the Mini-14 yet). A good AR or AK will work just as well and for about the same price.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts