major jam due to reloads

Concealed 27

Full Access Member
I took my G27 with a 9 mm conversion barrel and it would not cycle the next round about 1/4 inch and I had a hell of a time getting it out. When I did I found the problem the diameter on the casing was off. So I did not shoot anymore reloads and ran federal thru it with no problems. I'm gonna check all the reloads my friend did for me before trying themes again. Other than that gun ran good. I just got a little pissed cause it happened right when I got there.
Concealed 27

Silver-Bolt

Full Access Member
If the rounds are too wide at the base your buddy's sizing die is not adjusted correctly and he is not case gaging his rounds. When a round is fired there is potential for the case to bulge near the case head. Most commonly happens in firearms with unsupported chambers. Ironically early Glocks had unsupported chambers and hence the term "Glock bulge" was born in the reloading world. If the bulge is bad enough even a properly set up sizing die won't cure it. They would have to be run through a roll sizer or bulge buster die. I case gage 100% of my loads. Out of a 5k round batch I may get 8-10 rounds that don't gage. I pull the bullets, save the powder, and toss the brass.

Concealed 27

Full Access Member
Thanks for the explanation, I appreciate it. I've never had it happen before the slide was locked so tight I did think I could get it put a little time and frustration I got it...
Concealed 27

kwo51

Full Access Member
Have had to use a wood rod to unseat some reloads at the range. Glock reloaders I know will not over use they cases.

oppo

Full Access Member
Another possibility is that his seating/crimping die was poorly adjusted causing the front of the case to bulge.

Silver-Bolt

Full Access Member
Thanks for the explanation, I appreciate it. I've never had it happen before the slide was locked so tight I did think I could get it put a little time and frustration I got it...
Concealed 27

I had the exact same thing happen when I attempted to shoot some rounds that did not case gage. The slide went forward but not fully into battery. Gun failed to fire (good thing) and the slide was locked in place. Wood block and a hammer to free the slide. Not the most fun thing to do with a live round in the chamber. My thought for even trying the ammo was the Glock chamber might be loose enough to handle the rejected rounds. It wasn't.

kwo51

Full Access Member
Shitty reloads or old ammo is best not fired. If you have to run it put through a heavy frame revolver or a bolt action rifle. Plastic guns don't handle kabooms well. 1911 style will at least save your hand mostly.

Members online

No members online now.