I want to build an AR...

JJP71584

Can somebody point me in the right direction, the only thing I think I know is that I want it to be chambered in 5.56, other than that I'm not sure where to begin...help!

Silver-Bolt

Full Access Member
Figure out what you most want to do with it. A precision AR typically is going to have a barrel length of 18"+. An all around carbine is usually 16". Anything under 16" will be considered an SBR and will require federal paperwork. Next most important is your budget. It's possible to build a budget AR for around $500. If you go all out expect you cost to surpass $3k. Iron sights are cheaper than optics. Optics are more accurate than iron sights. Do you want a DI (direct impingement) or do you want a piston gun? Pluses and minuses to both. Your budget will really dictate which direction to go.

oppo

Full Access Member
Yep, the AR is very versatile and there are lots of options. The first step is to figure out what you want to do with the rifle and how much you are willing to spend. Then we can figure out parts.

JJP71584

I was hoping to keep my build under or around $1k, I was hoping for optics but not sure on the difference between DI or a piston gun, will be researching this for sure...

kwo51

Full Access Member
Good optics can cost more than the gun. Prices have come down on most ar's and building one could be more expensive . Good way to learn is get a lower enter level gun and learn all the nomenclature of it.

ninja man

Full Access Member
im in the same boat as the op. my brother in law helped me build my lower. i have no idea what to do with it.

Silver-Bolt

Full Access Member
Palmetto makes good quality AR parts at a reasonable price. You can spend more and get less and you can spend less and get less. For a first time build they are a good reliable and trusted source. Youtube has thousands of how to videos. AR15.com is another good information source. For your first build I would recommend keeping it simple. A 16" DI carbine, flat top receiver, railed hand guard would be a great start. Flip up iron sights gives you the option of having both iron sights and optics down the road. My opinion for a first build is to keep all the parts from a single source. If you have an issue there is no question as to the compatibility of the parts.

Ammunition, Magazines, Rifle Parts, Bulk Ammo and Rifle Accessories - Palmetto State Armory

Concealed 27

Full Access Member
There a lot of stuff online to help you, the lower is fairly easy but with the information online will help you a lot.....good luck and keep us informed where your at.
Concealed 27

oppo

Full Access Member
You can build a nice rifle for $1k. I would go with a free floating handguard and not skimp on the barrel or bcg. Do want a precision rifle, a lightweight rifle or... A piston gun will be more expensive. DID is better for a precision build. They aren't difficult to build and there are indeed a lot of guides and videos. I would start on the lower first and go from there as you decide what you want.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts