Gentlemen of the Glock, give me your ears.....and opinions

KKing

Full Access Member
Alright Glock guys, I'm looking at getting into a Glock. I have a G26 (for now) so I'm not completely ignorant on them but my G26 isn't much fun to shoot. The decision I'm trying to make is between a G17 and a G19, either would be a gen 3 I believe. It would be 99% a target pistol, that's why I'm trying to get away from the tiny-niney's. Eventually I may put a light on it and use it as a night stand gun, more than likely won't ever be used as a CCW. Might buy an OWB holster for it eventually and do a little open carrying. From what I've read most prefer the 17 for target shooting because of it's size and the 19 if you want to do a little target and a little concealed. As far as generations I've heard that they've smoothed out the grip roughness they had when the gen 4 first came out, but I can't confirm. I'll handle both before I purchase I just wanted to make sure I was sniffing up the right tree So...I ask, which would you prefer? G17 or 19 and what generation?

hotrodpc

Super Moderator
Honestly, it sounds like you know the differences yourself so it needs to be a decision you need to make. You left alot of things out here for us just to guess and offer any direction.

Do you have a budget you're trying to stay within? Are you buying used or new? Gen 4 is generally $40 +/- more than Gen 3. Of course the expense is justified since Gen 4 comes with 3 mags, Gen 3 comes with 2.

Are you interested in Ambidextrious features at all? Gen 3 doesn't support them, Gen 4 does.

Do you have average sized hands or big hands? Does weight matter to you? Does capacity matter to you?

Without the need for conealment, I'd probably go with the full size 17 since it's the same money as the mid frame 19 if buying new. You said target shooting, so the bigger frame, with a tad longer barrel, a bit more weight and a full grip should give a little better accuracy and control, along with the additional 2rds capacity.

Again, Gen 3 or 4 is personal preference. I'd probably go with the Gen 4 since I already had a Gen 3 if budget is not an issue for the additional expense. The additional expense doesn't bother me since you're getting a 3rd mag for it. You could always get a XGrip spacer too and carry a 17rd mag for use with your 26 to increase it's capacity too. Leave 2 mags with the 17 at the house, and carry one with the 26 as a back up mag.

So for me, I'd go Glock 17 Gen 4.

I too having the same delema knowing I want to buy another Glock before the Ban hits. I know I want to buy a Glock 27 (Baby .40) but that can wait til after the ban siince the capacity is less than 10. So chances are, I'll end up with a Full Frame Glock 22 Gen 4, since my main purpose is buying for pre ban capacity and being extra mags are now $50-$60 each, I'll go for the Gen 4 as the deciding factor for Gen 3 or 4, along with I already have a Gen 3 G23 for CCW.

Last edited:

KKing

Full Access Member
Budget doesn't really matter really if the only difference is +/- $100, but I'm not totally against buying used. I don't really need the ambi features, and weight doesn't really matter. Capacity DOES however and I like the idea of it coming fresh with that extra mag, especially with it being mostly a range gun the less reloading the better. I think I like the full grip of the 17 better, I'm 6'3 and I'd say I have a decent sized paw. I guess I really need to go handle both, if I can even find a place with both in stock. Sometimes I just need to bounce things off someone.

hotrodpc

Super Moderator
Yep, sounds to me you'd be happier with the full frame 17, being 6'3 and wanting the capacity. Budget not an issue, I'd go Gen 4 for the extra mag and have the "New" features to boot. But if you got to your place of purchase and they had the Gen 3 but not the Gen 4, then I'd go for the Gen 3 since you don't need the Ambo features and it doesn't really matter to you. Sometimes you just let what they store has in stock help you decide.

TScottW99

Full Access Member
Since you want it for target I would go with either the 17 or maybe even the 34. It is a great target pistol and a lot of fun to shoot. Either one would be great, the 19 to me is more CCW though a great pistol in its self.

The Gen 4 would be my pic if you can find one since money is not an issue. I like the back straps.

hotrodpc

Super Moderator
Since you want it for target I would go with either the 17 or maybe even the 34. It is a great target pistol and a lot of fun to shoot. Either one would be great, the 19 to me is more CCW though a great pistol in its self.

The Gen 4 would be my pic if you can find one since money is not an issue. I like the back straps.

Yep, I agree totally with that. G17 or 34 and Gen 4.

DEFSTUGRP

GLOCK 17... Since you state your intent is to use it 99% of the time for target shooting...

It has a longer sight radius as well, which is preferred by Target/Competition shooters.

You could go with the GLOCK 34, which is popular among serious competitors, but in my humble opinion, the GLOCK 17 will do just as good.

The only thing your getting on the GLOCK 34 is a slightly longer sight radius, and a lighter connector, which you can change on your own anyways...

Regarding GEN 3 or 4. I personally don't own any GEN 4's, although my Best Friend has a GEN 4 GLOCK 34... Nice Pistol.

All my other GLOCK's are GEN 3, and I was also hesitant to move to GEN 4 until I knew any "kinks" were worked out...

I'm confident at this point they have been... But, since a few things are not compatible between GEN 3 and 4, I decided to keep everything GEN 3.

The GLOCK 17 with a light would make a fine Home Defense set up.

Although, I'd recommend that if your going to put a light on your gun that you also have a 2nd light not attached to your pistol. This helps eliminate any possibility of "Sweeping" a family member, if in the case you needed a light but the only one you had was attached to your firearm.

GLOCK 19 is usually a great universal size, but since you wont ever Conceal Carry it, I'm leaving it out of this recommendation.

hotrodpc

Super Moderator
Se when is it gonna be King? When are you getting a G17. I'd be searching now to make sure you get a pre ban (if the ban happens) and you get it with 17rd mags and won't be illegal to use hi cap mags in it.

KKing

Full Access Member
I'm working on it, too many irons as they say. Got all the parts going on the AR build going and such. I've got a couple guns I'm probably going to sell to friends (I don't sell to people I don't know personally, I don't like to sell period) and once those sell I'll have a little more free cash. I've got a couple guns that never even get shot so no use in owning them. But, I have been looking, and I have a couple of 33 round mags coming. Haven't had much luck actually finding the weapon though

Concealed 27

Full Access Member
No problem sweeping, finger outside the triggar guard, Im set up to do that with my G23 TLR-3 light in light bearing fabric holster as my home defense. but anyways get the 34... great gun

KKing

Full Access Member
Well guys, little update on this. I'm still undecided between the 17 and 19, but for a different reason now. I'm currently carrying a Kahr CM9. While I love the fit, finish, trigger, concealability, and quality of the gun I'm not as accurate as I'd like to be with it. Yet when I pick up a medium or full frame gun, I'm good out to 25 yards. Now, I realize that it's me and not the gun and with more practice I'd eventually get it, but for the time being I won't risk my life on that and I'm going to either trade it in or just add a Glock. I'd rather print with a larger gun than conceal a small gun that I'm questionable with. If I can get away with carrying the 17 that'd be my preference, but I'll try them this upcoming week and see. I know "self defense distances" are where most have to use their weapon, but I'd like to know I'm prepared should I have to make one a little further out

Concealed 27

Full Access Member
Dress around your weapon and concealments not an issue. I'm scrony and carry a g23 &g27 and I get way with it....

kwo51

Full Access Member
If you go see omar the tent maker he will fix you up. My Leather jacket took 2 cows to make.

Members online

No members online now.