FrogLube on Knives

Maxx2893

Full Access Member
Alright this is my take on FrogLube. I just finished applying it for the first time. I'm very impressed with this stuff so far.

You gotta lube your knives guys. It keeps them working smoothly and keeps the rust away. I know some of you are saying "knives are stainless steel, why worry about rust?" Well stainless can still rust, it's just more resistant. Many of you use RemOil or something similar, and that's fine. But let me share why I chose FrogLube.

First thing I noticed about it to be honest is the scent. I'll be honest, over the years Hoppe's No. 9 Solvent has become one of those guilty pleasure scents. It's like race fuel or burning rubber. FrogLube took me by surprise. It has a wintergreen/Icy Hot scent to it (I think I'll be able to give up Hoppe's).

Today I'm cleaning and lubing and a Lightning OTF.

eme6yga7.jpg

I took it apart and cleaned it completely with Q-Tips and rubbing alcohol.

5eha9yva.jpg

Next I heated the pieces of the knife with a blow dryer. FrogLube works best when applied to a heated material. The directions state it should be 120°. I didn't measure it specifically just heated with the blow dryer. I applied it with a toothbrush (I suggest a nylon cleaning brush).

abygeje7.jpg

I'm waiting on it to penetrate the metal right now. It says to wait 60-90 minutes before wiping the excess off. I'll update after that point.

Stay tuned.

Maxx2893

Full Access Member
FrogLube does take more work than simply wiping down and applying RemOil. But it has benefits that make it worth it to me.

First its a dry lube. You wipe off all the liquid on the surface and the lube is actually penetrated into the material. This means it doesn't attract lint and dust. That's a very good things for firearms.

It's "green." FrogLube is plant based instead of Petroleum based. This is one of the reason it doesn't act like oil. I'll be honest I'm not one to spend more on a product or buy it over another because it's "green." However I'm not against it. I think it's pretty cool that this product is better for the environment. I didn't buy FrogLube for this purpose but it doesn't hurt.

Next thing, and the biggest reason I bought this product for my knives. FrogLube is Food Grade. Meaning its edible. This is very important because I use my knives for whatever I need it for. Whether that means cutting rope or slicing summer sausage. You don't want to be ingesting RemOil because you cut some me jerky with your knife. It's not good for you. FrogLube won't be bad if you do end up ingesting some. This was the biggest reason to me trying this product.

Last edited:

Maxx2893

Full Access Member
Ok wiped the excess off and reassembled the knife. The action is much smoother. I'm very impressed. I can't wait to see how it holds up durability wise. And rust protection.

I think guns would benefit even more from this products lubrication characteristics. I tested it on a separate price and gave it a very quick pass with a lighter. I could feel the surface get noticeably slicker as it heated. I think this would be great for a gun as it heats as it cycles.

As I said before though, I mainly tried this because of its food grade.

I highly recommend this product support for far. I will update this post and keep y'all informed.

*I'm in no way affiliated with FrogLube

Last edited:

SHWELL

I use it as well on all of my blades. I like the stuff. Very inexpensive and the product goes a long way.

Humvee21

Full Access Member
Is this stuff similar to Ballistol?

Is it safe to use on teflon coated knives? My cold steel is teflon coated

Maxx2893

Full Access Member
I'm not familiar with ballistol, so I couldn't tell you to be honest. I don't see any reason it wouldn't be safe to use on Teflon though. I did a quick search and couldn't find anything talking about it. Your probably in the clear.

Remember, it's not made of harsh chemicals, it's plant based and completely edible.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.