Finally....It's Mockstars turn for an AR.

Mockstar

Full Access Member
Mockstars AR

Here it starts boys. :headbang: After not giving into any of the buying craze, I was able to save up some coin, and now that things are coming around, its time to spend that money.

It's not much to look at yet, but this is the beginnings of my first AR. These are all the parts I found since Saturday. BCM upper is in stock on their website. I ordered it Saturday and it arrived today. (Wisconsin Local) Found the BCG on armslist in GreenBay, and picked that up Sunday. Went to my LGS last night, just to look around, and found 2 GEN3 Pmags. Charging handle I found a couple months ago, and bought it just because it was there.

Big thumbs up to Bravo Company Machine. The amount of BCM SWAG that was also in the box (hat, oil, posters, stickers, black guns 2014 Magazine) was ridiculously unnecessary, but very much appreciated.

Upper is a BCM 16" Mid Length.
Bolt Carrier Group is a Les Baer Customs
BCM Gunfighter Charging handle. MOD-3
2 Pmags.

DSCN3659.jpg

DSCN3662.jpg

DSCN3663.jpg

Still not sure what lower to get yet. I'd like to stay with BCM but they are hard to find.

Last edited:

Bluez

Full Access Member
Awesome!!
Cant wait for it to come together!

Have you deiced yet what kind of handles will go on?
MagPul MOE's or a Quadrail or? :)

RangerDanger

Full Access Member
Looks like you have a good start. Why not build your own lower? I'll probably be selling some ar parts soon and I just happen to have a stripped lower and a psa magpul moe lower build kit :hmm:

Mockstar

Full Access Member
Just got back home. I went and picked up a Magpul MOE handguard. This will most likely be replaced with a quad rail later on. My flashhider isn't pinned, so removing that and the front sight is not an issue. I may get rid of the sight and just get a different gas block later on. The possibilities are endless. As for the lower.....I'm not sure yet. It'll be a few weeks before I decide on that. If I can find a BCM lower great, if not I'll most likely build one from a stripped lower.

DSCN3669.jpg

oppo

Full Access Member
Definitely build your own lower. It is not hard to do and is more satisfying than buying one already put together.

RangerDanger

Full Access Member
Definitely build your own lower. It is not hard to do and is more satisfying than buying one already put together.

Agreed. It's more intimidating thinking about than it is actually doing it. There's a ton of informative videos on YouTube

Mockstar

Full Access Member
You can get all the info needed online to do the lower urself, its fairly simple....

Agreed. It's more intimidating thinking about than it is actually doing it. There's a ton of informative videos on YouTube

I'm not intimidated by building my own lower. I would actually prefer to do so anyway as then I'm not replacing cheaper parts later. I did find a "blemished" stripped BCM lower, but not being able to actually see the blemish is making me reluctant to purse it.

My main concern was getting a high-end upper, barrel, and bolt. The rest I'm not so worried about.

I'll get it figured out, but it won't be completed this week.

On a side note......It's been 3 days since I emailed Les Baer Custom Inc., about what this bolt is made of with no response. It may be a good starter bolt, but for what I paid for it.......I'm finding I could have gotten better. I'm thinking the bolt and carrier are 8620 steel. I may ditch the bolt, and get something that is HPT, and MPI tested made of either 9310 or 158 carpenter.

Mockstar

Full Access Member
^^^^looks like I lied.......It will be "completed" this week^^^^

First rounds will be shot tomorrow. CMMG MK-4 lower. Magpul MOE pistol grip. CMMG fit is perfect, and the color matches the BCM upper seamlessly. LGS did have Black Rain Ordinance stripped lowers, but for the price this was the more convenient option. Trigger group, trigger guard, and butt-stock will get upgraded soon.

DSCN3670.jpg

Last edited:

Mockstar

Full Access Member
Rifle ran great using Hornady 223 REM 55gr SP. The timing may be a little off as my spent brass is not hitting the deflector properly. An H marked buffer my be needed, but every round did eject just fine. The steel cased ammo was Herters for the AK.

I also picked up a MOE trigger guard, and a cheap SightMark UltraShot reflex sight for now.

ar.jpg
DSCN3698.jpg

Last edited:

Mockstar

Full Access Member
I'm impressed with the SightMark optic. For a $100 sight, it works really well. Reticules are surprisingly crisp, but I wish it was brighter outdoors. All in all. It's a decent plinking sight for someone on a budget.

DSCN3675.jpg

DSCN3676.jpg

DSCN3680.jpg

DSCN3682.jpg

Mockstar

Full Access Member
Thanks guys. I had some brass shavings on my bolt, and chamber after shooting, but for now I'm gonna just chalk that up to new parts being broke in. I only fired about 20 rounds yesterday. I looked at the bolt face, and ejector and didn't notice any burrs, but I did not keep my brass separate from my buddys, so I don't know whose is whose.

Some brass looks like this, and some don't. Let me know if you think this is normal for a new rifle or not. Thanks.
DSCN3684.jpg

Last edited:

Mockstar

Full Access Member
Here is where my brass is hitting the deflector. I noticed that my brass was scattered all over the place, and not in a nice little pile in the grass like my buddys colt. Is this something that can be adjusted with a heavier spring or buffer, or should I not even worry about it at this point, and just keep putting more rounds thru it first?

DSCN36871.jpg

Last edited:

Bluez

Full Access Member
Nothing to worry about woith any of thoe pics.
I guess when you have a new weapon you are always extra sensitive to any real or imagined malfunction :D

BTW I really like that its a mid lenght.
It being a mid lenght I'd be surprised if you really need a 'H" buffer.

Mockstar

Full Access Member
Thanks Palmerwmd. I think I was just over thinking my first outing with it. lol I've settled down since then.

This is my first AR, and since its a Frankengun, (BCM, CCMG, LesBaer) I think I was just being overly judgmental of it. The rifle ran flawless right off the bat.

I'll put alot more rounds down it's throat this weekend, and put it through its paces, and I'm sure it'll be good to go.

Members online

No members online now.