Dpms lr-260h

Txhillbilly

Full Access Member
My new rifle came in the other day.

First thoughts were the fit & finish is very good. It's a lot lighter than I thought it would be,but it has a 20" HBAR style barrel.I'm used to shooting Varmint/Bull barreled rifles.
The only complaints that I have with it is (1) The trigger SUCKS-gritty as hell,and way too heavy. (2) The factory hand grip.

004.jpg

I put a spare Sightron SII 4-16x42 scope on it with Burris Signature Zee rings,and a Weaver riser on top of it for now.

006.jpg

I also contacted Bill Springfield,and I'm sending him the Lower for a 3 lb trigger job.For $68,it's a lot cheaper than dishing out $200 for a Geissele trigger.
By the time I get the Lower back,my ACE stock,Hogue hand grip,and 20rd P-Mags should be here.
I should have a bunch of test loads worked up by then,and find out just how well this thing is going to shoot.

Txhillbilly

Full Access Member
An AR in 260 is definitely on my list. I am jealous.

Yeah,I didn't want another 308 and with the ballistic coefficient's of the 6.5 bullets it was an easy choice.Plus I can make brass from several calibers,I hate Remington brass.
I have resized 400 243 Winchester cases,and have them ready to load.

Txhillbilly

Full Access Member
Update with first test loads

I got my lower back from Bill Springfield last Friday.I really like the trigger job he did on it.
So I installed the ACE skeleton stock and Hogue grip on the lower,and reinstalled the upper. I haven't had much time to make many test loads,but I did put together 5 sets 140gr Sierra Gamekings using H4350 powder.

Here's the finished rifle-

007-1.jpg

I set my portable shooting bench up here at the house and shot the test loads at 100 yards. The trigger is great,right at the 3 lb pull I requested. No creep,breaks like glass. I loaded 39.0gr-40.0gr-41.0gr-41.5gr-42.0gr of H4350,and the 40.0gr and 42.0gr shot the best. The others shot good,but I'm pretty picky about how a gun shoots. If it won't shoot 0.5moa or better,I'm not happy,and these two loads shot close to that out of a brand new gun. I think I'm going to have fun with this rifle once I get it broke in.

I pulled first shot,but the last four are in one hole. This load probably won't have the speed I'm looking for,but it's a great target load.
002-1.jpg

The 4th and 5th groups were shot on the same target. I was lazy! The 1st/3rd/and 4th loads all shot about the same.They shot decent,but not what I want.
The 5th set shot fantastic,and should be in the FPS range I'm looking for. I've loaded up three 10 rd sets of these,and I'll try them again,with a set with no crimp-light crimp-heavy crimp and see what the changes will be with pressures and speed.
004-1.jpg

I've got several other bullets to test with this rifle,and several other powders to try,so I'll be busy with this thing for a while.

oppo

Full Access Member
How do you like that stock? I am leaning toward using the same one on an AR15 with a 20" heavy barrel.

Txhillbilly

Full Access Member
How do you like that stock? I am leaning toward using the same one on an AR15 with a 20" heavy barrel.

I really like the ACE stock. I've used them on several rifles over the years,and they work very well. You can get them in 2 different lengths,the ones I use are standard rifle length.

Nice ar! How available are 260 rounds ?

I really don't know how available factory ammo is,I load all of my ammo for every caliber I shoot,except rimfire calibers.

Nice unit!

Thanks!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts