Double barrelled AR-15 in production

oppo

Full Access Member
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XgGRYqBVCs&sns=em]Double Barrel AR-15 - YouTube[/ame]

kwo51

Full Access Member
Just a plan old M-14 will do for me, selector switch and by pod would be neat also.

Max

Full Access Member
I know that 90% of the reason why this was made probably is "because we can".
But doesn't a double-barrelled rifle also have twice the recoil (and with that muzzle climb)?
Or do I get something wrong there?

Max

Jo6pak

Full Access Member
You are correct Max, I think it is just an exercise in engineering.

In practice, this rifle basically doubles the potential problems and solves nothing that couldn't be solved buy choosing another more powerful caliber.

x2 the recoil
x2 the weight
x2 the potential for malfunctions
x2 the ammo consumption and the associated weight of more ammo to carry.

kwo51

Full Access Member
Twice the hit ratio and twice the first stop power. Twice the failure rate. Just a way to bypass some ATF laws on guns.

Last edited:

oppo

Full Access Member
As far as failures, if it was two completely seperate systems, one would be able to continue firing if the other malfunctioned.

Max

Full Access Member
When they both failed you would have a bigger hammer.

Actually heard that about shotguns in german tv just this saturday.
"Long, tough guns, with a lot of energy.
And once the shooter runs out of ammunition, they make a good club."

But on the other hand, that shows "expert" called the Glock17 a revolver, and related the number to the magazine-capacity.
Kinda embarrassing.

Max

Arckadian

Failure may always be an option for science, but not on the field of battle where you are defending people and your own team members. This weapon scares me because if it fails what are some of the possible repercussions of that failure out in the field?

Max

Full Access Member
Who knows?
Maybe, once you "broke it apart" (don't know how to call it really), it's just like cleaning/stripping two AR15 which happen to be lying side by side.
So it would only take extra time, but wouldn't be more complicated.

Max

kwo51

Full Access Member
No they would have to be inverted.One would eject right side and the other left side. That would change the manual of arms for each. I think I would prefer 2 separate guns.

Concealed 27

Full Access Member
Agreed, I'm ambidextrous and I would not like that gun. I'm thinking bout building another ar in 300 blk out.....

Max

Full Access Member
How about having two AR15s with an identical setup, using one and having the second one slung as serious backup.
In my view, that's a better way to use two ARs than the double barelled thingy.

Anyone disagreeing?

Concealed 27

Full Access Member
I'm thinking of weight as a major issue. My AR weights almost 8 and half pounds so I'm thinking that a double barrell would weight close to 12 lbs....to much to move around and a bipod or would be a must for me. Not an infantry gun for sure...
Concealed 27

oppo

Full Access Member
I'm thinking of weight as a major issue. My AR weights almost 8 and half pounds so I'm thinking that a double barrell would weight close to 12 lbs....to much to move around and a bipod or would be a must for me. Not an infantry gun for sure...
Concealed 27

Yep, they would definitely need to make using lightweight components a priority. They could get it down to 9 pounds or so without much trouble. It is not that difficult to build a sub 6 pound AR.

Members online

No members online now.