Did some updrills today

Bluez

Full Access Member
With the Sig 516.

2 fast rounds for suppression while standing then followed by 2 aimed shots kneeling : )

Agian and again.

felt like as good a training as I can get on the square range

Bluez

Full Access Member
Not very far..
Its a 25 yard range.

but my numbered target are not large effectively simulating a man size at 80-100m.

Going back later today :)

kwo51

Full Access Member
Simulate moving for cover or going to the ground,transition to hand gun. Tap ,rack and go. One arm manipulation. Any body else on the range with you? Does the Sig have an 18" barrel?

Bluez

Full Access Member
Simulate moving for cover or going to the ground,transition to hand gun. Tap ,rack and go. One arm manipulation. Any body else on the range with you? Does the Sig have an 18" barrel?

Nothing fancy like that. mostly redoing the basoics agains and again.
The rifle is a 16 inch.

Like I said this is only square range shooting in contrast to real tactical training
(which I will do again in a couple of week.

I go to my knees at times for the follow up aimed pair.
Thats the best I can do at this square range.

Its only Updrills so its a lot better than normal paper punching but not as good as real training.

I dont consider a lot of the mainstream training thats out there particularly good either.
As for transitions, they are clearly a fad borne out by many instrcutors being ex SWAT or security contractors who were followed around by a van with ammo and water most places they went.

So the handgun on their rig did not have to compete with 3 extra mags of ammo.

My litmus test if a "tactical school" is worth it, is whether they force you to do transitions or not.
If the answer is yes than they are training easily teachable fads rather than field craft and useful shoot, move, communicate skills.

Last edited:

Jo6pak

Full Access Member
I do similar drills, but with 3 rounds per mag and go stand, kneel, prone.
I will also often vary the amount of ammo in each mag, and mix up the mags so I don't know when the reload is coming.

Another thing we do when doing run and gun drills is to have another person load your mags and randomly insert a snap cap (dummy round) or an empty casing to force you to do a malfunction clear while you are shooting.
This started as simply practical jokes we would do to each other, but has become part of the exercise now.
We do several of the same types of drills with both pistols and long guns.
Mainly we just do it for fun, but it's nice to know the skills are there if we whould need them.

I also feel transitions are bit over blown in training. I think it looks good on camera, so everyone makes it a bigger part of training than it needs to be.
Seems once a guy puts on a khakis and a Blackwater ballcap, he automatically begins to spout whichever tacti-cool catchphrase is popular that month.

Bluez

Full Access Member
1)I do similar drills, but with 3 rounds per mag and go stand, kneel, prone.
I will also often vary the amount of ammo in each mag, and mix up the mags so I don't know when the reload is coming.

2)Another thing we do when doing run and gun drills is to have another person load your mags and randomly insert a snap cap (dummy round) or an empty casing to force you to do a malfunction clear while you are shooting.

3) I think it looks good on camera, so everyone makes it a bigger part of training than it needs to be.
Seems once a guy puts on a khakis and a Blackwater ballcap, he automatically begins to spout whichever tacti-cool catchphrase is popular that month.

1) yeah do those too :)

2) never thought of that!

3) HaHa so true!

here are what my instructor thinks of what happend when I posted a review on another site (as bluez)
Tactical Training by Max Velocity | Taking Down the Tacticool Transition Dogma - Tactical Training by Max Velocity

kwo51

Full Access Member
Here you would be in the mud today. Stay warm. Transition from cold to heat when ever possible.

Members online

No members online now.